Is squirrel (blue chinchilla) a showable color for mini lops?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shayhara

Reaction score
Was in touch with a breeder who I was suppose to be getting a doe from, but the doe she has available just doesn't have a good enough crown for what I need. She sent me a couple pictures of bucks. An opal witch I love and a broken squirrel which has one of the better crowns I have seen in a while. I want this guy bad! Just want to make sure its a showable color.

Here is a picture.

brokensquirrelminilopbuck.jpg

I"m pretty sure having only half a mark above the nose is a fault. I cant see much else of him to say more though :)

I didn't even notice the nose! I emailed her about it, he will still make a good herd buck. I just saw that crown/head and went YEP I WANT HIM.

Yes, Blue Chinchilla is allowed
In the Broken group: Body pattern may be spotted, patches or a blanket. Head markings are to show color on both ears, both eye circles and on the nose.

A butterfly pattern with wings outlined in white on the muzzle area of the face, solid color circle around each eye and solid colored ears are preferred.
Faults: Partial nose markings or eye circles in the broken color pattern.

Shayhara wrote:
I didn't even notice the nose! I emailed her about it, he will still make a good herd buck. I just saw that crown/head and went YEP I WANT HIM.

That's what I was told to look for. When you have a doe but she doesn't have the crown, you find a buck with a better crown to pass on that trait to the kits. I think he's perfect for what you want to start with. Though on half butterfly, you are not showing him, but with the proper doe, you could have a homerun with showable kits from the pair.

Wishing you all the luck. Please keep me posted on how you are doing with your breeding program. Mine is just starting and Saturday when i go see my buck I'll know more on where I need to go for does.

K :)

I've heard as long as there is a mark of color in the whisker bed then it was just a fault like CCWelch said

The breeder emailed me back. She said he is still show able, she has shown them in the past with only a partial nose marking, he will just get marked down for it.

Latest posts

Back