Is small pet select worth it?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only hay I give my rabbits is Orchard grass hay. I don't spray my lawn with chemicals, so I sometimes cut some lawn grass and give it to my rabbits before I mow my lawn. I also feed my rabbits greens and pellets. Right now I am feeding oxbow pellets. I get them from Chewy also because I can get them at a better price in a 25 pound bag. I am now looking into other brands because my oldest rabbit is losing weight and so I want some pellets with more calories. I buy a big bag of romaine lettuce from Sam's Club. I buy Romaine because it keeps longer. I also buy Organic Spring Mix, but it has too much spinach in it, so I pick out most of the spinach and eat that myself.
That's so interesting! I didnt even know rabbits could eat orchard hay everyday instead of timothy! I'm currently feeding my rabbits oxbow pellets as well, but might change to small pet select in the near future. I get the same organic spring mix and try my best to get most of the spinach out. I pair it with cilantro and romaine lettuce. If they haven't gotten fruit in awhile I cut some apples, bananas, or strawberries with their veggies. I might have to look into getting orchard hay because timothy hay dust makes me itch bad. If I cant find a good quality timothy hay I'm definitely going to try orchard hay!!

If you don't know what hay you like, you could also try to find a tester box. I don't know if they do that in the US. In truth, the link I found is a lot more expensive than I'd pay for a tester box. So I'm not sure if you'd be able to get a cheaper one. But I bought one of these which had six types of hay (mine was less than £10), and it really helped me figure out what hay my bun likes x

"How many inches of litter do you guys put in your rabbits litter box?"
- If you're using the wood pellet litter like I am (the one from SPS and Tractor Supply are pretty much identical; TS's gives off more a smell though), I just put one layer of pellets -- literally just the height of a litter pellet. You really don't need much. Going through 45lb each week for two rabbits is astounding for me to read. I have no idea how that much is being used. The size and number of litterboxes you have can also help lessen how much you're going through.

"Also, I'm curious about how much hay your rabbits goes through a month?"
- I actually order 1st cut Timothy from SPSS. I get 10lbs every 11-14 days for two rabbits (2.5lb and 7lb).
We use the wood pellets as well. Started with a layer
After trial and error he hates to stand on the pellets. He only pees on the ends and poops on one end. So the several months I've only been putting a thin layer on each end. Leaving the middle clear. Top with hay. Has been working very well.

here's how i save money on the rabbits

I buy the oxbow garden select pellets in bulk on chewy (25Ib for about $45) I also feed half the amount of pellets HRS recommends (monitor weight if you would like to do this, mine have done fine tho)
Garden select is soy and molasses free, so i prefer it to small pet select

For litter I also use the horse stall pellets, just enough to cover the litter box, and then top with aspen, which is also a cheap bedding

For hay I personally use the standlee, but the rescue I volunteer at occasionally gets the large oxbow bales donated and it's definitely worth it, I would try a hay rack in order to make the hay last even longer. I ordered hay from small pet select once and found a large clump of brown hay in it, for the cost i was disappointed and will not try it again

I just switched from using Small Pet Select hay to Standlee. With my four bunnies, we go through a 20Ib box of Small Pet Select hay every month and it was super expensive (not to mention a lot of it goes to waste). They absolutely love the Timothy bale from Standlee, it is super fresh and fragrant!

I use Sherwood rabbit food for my rabbits. Even though it is a bit pricey, I feel it is totally worth it. It's high quality and healthy for them. My rabbits also get lots of greens and herbs from the store and garden.

For litter, I use the wood pellets from Small Pet Select.

We use the wood pellets as well. Started with a layer
After trial and error he hates to stand on the pellets. He only pees on the ends and poops on one end. So the several months I've only been putting a thin layer on each end. Leaving the middle clear. Top with hay. Has been working very well.
I think standing comfort is a good consideration for SPS litter/similar litters! I cut a plastic knitting mesh sheet (7 count hole measurement) to go on top which is a bit more comfy for rabbits to stand on.

I use the wood pellets for litter also with a layer of bedding on top of it. My rabbits don't seem to like the feel of it on their feet. I found that if I didn't put bedding on top they didn't want to use the box.

Originally I was using Standlee hay from TS but every single 50lb bale I have ordered these past few months has had mold or they are very musty smelling. Even the ones our store stocks on the shelves didn't smell too good. I had been searching our local farms for good quality hay and have yet to actually find something good. I was going to order the 50lb box from oxbow but then reading through the reviews I just decided to spend the extra money on a box from Small pet select. I have to say I'm rather impressed with it. The quality was really good and the hay smells nice and fresh. I have also noticed very little dust. My rabbits all attacked it like they hadn't had hay ever before in their entire little lives.

a 40 pound bag can last me about two weeks sometimes three

A 40lb bag of wood pellets should be able to last 2 rabbits a minimum of 2 months. So, yeah, you can cut costs by using the wood pellet litter wisely.

I top the pellets with generous amounts of hay every day. That also stretches the length of time between litter box cleanouts. Since the hay is purchased by the (huge) bale, I am spending about $2 per month on hay max.

The following page on my website explains ways to cut costs on those recurring bunny necessities.
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/costs.html

I switched from Oxbow Western Timothy to Small Pet Select Timothy Second Cut and my bunny loves it! She goes nuts! Her eyes get really big and she gorges herself on it. She really likes the meadow loops treats too.

I have two rabbits one which is a 5 pound dutch, and the other a 10 pound new Zealand. I've been trying to find ways to save money on hay, pellets, and litter. I spend about 15 dollars a week on hay for a 5 pound bag, the sad thing is most of it gets wasted and I feel like I could spread it to two week if I found a way were they could waste less. So, I spend roughly 60 dollars or sometimes more on hay a month. I've bought a 55 pound bale from Standlee but my rabbits don't like it as much as the oxbow hay. I spend about 20 dollars a month on pellets which isn't too bad. For litter I get a 45 pound bag of wood pellets for about 7 dollars and I get this about every week since my rabbits like to pee a lot. So, I spend about 24 dollars a month on litter. I do admit that I put a lot in their litter boxes (like 3 inches) meaning I could give them less litter. How many inches of litter do you guys put in your rabbits litter box? I also have to purchase them miscellaneous things like veggies and their supplements which is another 49 dollars.

I began searching for cheap stores that sell good quality rabbit food for cheap, and I came across small pet select. I saw that they have bundles and one bundle that stood out was the 2nd cut Timothy + Rabbit Food pellets + Bedding bundle. The option that I was interested in was the 10 lbs 2nd cut timothy hay, 5 lbs food pellets, and 56 L paper bedding and I could get all this for 58 dollars!! I'm just worried that it might not be enough for two rabbits to last a month. I've gotten 5 lbs bags of pellets before and they can last me a month, the only thing I'm worried about would be the hay and bedding. I would just really like your opinion and do you guys think it would last? I'm thinking about purchasing it once just to see if it will last me a month. I get rabbits can be expensive and I don't mind spending the money on them, but it would be nice to be able to save a little money :) Also, if any of you know where to get good pellets or hay for a good price please let me know!

P.S- Sorry if there is any misspelling :)
I think the hay from SPS is great and they give you a discount for auto delivery which you can set to be whatever you want (mine is set for 5 mos)
I order 40lbs bags of pine pellets (Brand I get is America’s Choice Equine Pellets) to my local hardware store for pick up for $10 (I’m in NYC no farm stores here) 3 inches seems like sooo much wasted. I put a single layer of pine pellets and I change 1-2x per week max (note: I just have 1 2lb dwarf rabbit) It lasts me about 5-6 mos.

Latest posts

Back