Is Oralade safe for rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My vet gave me some Oralade for my rabbit with GI stasis. I'm a bit confused because it says its for cats and dogs and it's chicken flavour... Is it safe to give to a rabbit?

Why in the world would your vet give you that? It's just chicken flavored electrolytes right? Why not give you Bio Lapis instead? That is actually an electrolyte/probiotic mix specifically intended for rabbits. If you feel your rabbit does need electrolytes, I'm sure the Oralade is safe, though not particularly tasty to a rabbit. But if you can, I would suggest ordering some Bio Lapis instead.

Why in the world would your vet give you that? It's just chicken flavored electrolytes right? Why not give you Bio Lapis instead? That is actually an electrolyte/probiotic mix specifically intended for rabbits. If you feel your rabbit does need electrolytes, I'm sure the Oralade is safe, though not particularly tasty to a rabbit. But if you can, I would suggest ordering some Bio Lapis instead.
He said they don't have anything else... I've been looking for things like pro fibre and bio lapis to replace pro c because my rabbit started to leave lots of soft cecotropes and shes only getting hay + critical care, but I couldn't find them anywhere. The vet said she needs electrolytes, but I feel weird about giving my rabbit chicken flavored anything..

Hm, it's just an electrolyt solution, right? You'll see if your rabbit likes chicken, it's not like rabbits weren't sometimes opportunistic carnivores when they have use for it. If he needs it, I would just give it if nothing else is at hand.

He said they don't have anything else... I've been looking for things like pro fibre and bio lapis to replace pro c because my rabbit started to leave lots of soft cecotropes and shes only getting hay + critical care, but I couldn't find them anywhere. The vet said she needs electrolytes, but I feel weird about giving my rabbit chicken flavored anything..
The excess caecotrophes is likely due to the critical care. Why is your bunny on critical care? Perhaps order some Protexin Profibre pellets instead and give just a few pellets (not more than 1 tbsp) instead.

The excess caecotrophes is likely due to the critical care. Why is your bunny on critical care? Perhaps order some Protexin Profibre pellets instead and give just a few pellets (not more than 1 tbsp) instead.
She stops eating and pooping for hours when she gets bad gas attacks. She's only 3 months old so the vet said she NEEDS the critical care. I can't order pro fibre anywhere because of Brexit... I contacted a number of retailers but none of them can ship it here. She's also getting Pro C probiotic, I think it has glucose in it so that could be making it worse.

Is there a way to fix her cecotropes without taking her off critical care and the probiotic? And help with stasis recovery?

What exactly are you feeding? Did you change anything in her diet from what she grew up with?

I somewhat have doubts that highly processed stuff with complicated formulas meant for emergencies is actually addressing the root of the problem.

She stops eating and pooping for hours when she gets bad gas attacks. She's only 3 months old so the vet said she NEEDS the critical care. I can't order pro fibre anywhere because of Brexit... I contacted a number of retailers but none of them can ship it here. She's also getting Pro C probiotic, I think it has glucose in it so that could be making it worse.

Is there a way to fix her cecotropes without taking her off critical care and the probiotic? And help with stasis recovery?
I would get a second opinion from a good rabbit vet. I'm pretty sure our vets would not say she needs the critical care. I would get several types of tasty grass hay and keep her on a hay only diet for a few weeks and see whether that helps.

She's being fed 2nd cut timothy hay and a bit of meadow hay now. Previously she had meadow + alfalfa hay but alfalfa made her gas worse.
I wish I could take her to a good rabbit vet but there's only one in the entire country and it's VERY far.... The current vet is an exotics vet and they're supposed to be very good, but I think the attitude here with small pets is: " if it's serious let it die, get a new one. "

Just a quick update.
She was a bit better yesterday after I stopped critical care. I also found Fibreplex and ordered some. Apparently it's supposed to be good for stasis and issues with cecotropes.
Would it be ok to give to a 15/16 week old bunny though?

Just a quick update.
She was a bit better yesterday after I stopped critical care. I also found Fibreplex and ordered some. Apparently it's supposed to be good for stasis and issues with cecotropes.
Would it be ok to give to a 15/16 week old bunny though?
I wouldn't bother with the Fibreplex, keep it simple, push hay as much as a you can. I saw you give timothy and meadow, perhaps add orchard grass hay or rye.

Latest posts

Back