Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miffythebun

Reaction score
hello all
I’ve researched a lot into rabbit diets and what greens they should be getting but I still don’t know if what I am giving him is right.. Wookiee is a lionhead/Rex and he gets fed twice a day- once in the morning and again before bed.
Each time he gets a handful of nature’s touch hay Mix (https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/natures-touch-adult-rabbit-145kg) and a small handful of pellets (https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-small-animal-rabbit-nugget-125kg/p/0418587) (this is what he has always has, it was bought last min when I first got him but is the only one he will eat and he only gets a small handful and I sometimes use them as treats too!)

He additionally gets a handful of greens a day which is either one of these mixes of spinach, chard, beetroots etc-
https://www.iceland.co.uk/p/florette-superfood-original-mix-80g/76159.html
OR
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/300017332

He always has fresh, unlimited Timothy hay and he gets some carrot/ apple/ banana etc etc as a treat every other day and maybe other hanging treat every week. And obviously always has water.

Is this an okay diet for my bun? Am I missing anything or am I making his diet too boring for him? He loves his food and I hope I’m giving him the right amount too!

Any kind and helpful comments will be greatly appreciated xx

His age helps determine the type and amount of pellets (nuggets). Unfortunately the site is down for Wilco so I can't see the nutritional analysis. The other food - Nature's Touch - I would stop feeding. The first ingredient is bran. The first ingredient of a pellet food should be timothy hay (adult) or alfalfa hay (juvenile).

The greens look fine. I'm assuming he's used to them and eats them fine, so all's good there.

Unlimited timothy hay is perfect. Just be sure it is refreshed daily (don't wait for it to be gone before refreshing).

Fruit is considered a treat-- no more than 1 tbsp per day (sorry that's US measurement) -- so 1" slice of carrot OR one slice of apple.

Here's a visual that may help. Would need the nutritional analysis of the Wilco pellets to comment on those.

upload_2019-5-11_15-43-22.png

His age helps determine the type and amount of pellets (nuggets). Unfortunately the site is down for Wilco so I can't see the nutritional analysis. The other food - Nature's Touch - I would stop feeding. The first ingredient is bran. The first ingredient of a pellet food should be timothy hay (adult) or alfalfa hay (juvenile).

The greens look fine. I'm assuming he's used to them and eats them fine, so all's good there.

Unlimited timothy hay is perfect. Just be sure it is refreshed daily (don't wait for it to be gone before refreshing).

Fruit is considered a treat-- no more than 1 tbsp per day (sorry that's US measurement) -- so 1" slice of carrot OR one slice of apple.

Here's a visual that may help. Would need the nutritional analysis of the Wilco pellets to comment on those.

View attachment 40798

Hey, thanks for your reply!
The wilko pellets are 19% crude fibre and 13% crude protein and composed of soyabean hills, wheatfeed, Lucerne pellets, wheat, linseed and vitamins.
He gets such a small handful Daily that if this is no good he could just be taken off them.
The nature’s touch had been recommended by many online and is built up of hay, small amounts of dry carrots etc and all different plants for foraging so I’m surprised to said to take that away. I haven’t read anywhere that bran is bad for a rabbit? I had always thought of it as being good! It’s pretty expensive too I’ll be looking into an alternative!

Wookiee is just over half a year old, he’s been fixed and is a medium sized bun so I’m giving him Adult versions of food.

Thanks for your advice!!:)

I will concede that this Nature's Touch is something new to me. I have not heard about it but questioned it because the typical healthy pellet has timothy hay listed as first (main) ingredient and this one doesn't even have timothy on the list. Also, the old standby of diet wisdom is that "healthy pellets" are plain and don't have extras added in.

I don't want to steer you wrong so while I'm confident enough to suggest you go ahead and stop the wilko pellets, you may want to continue (for now) the Nature's Touch. I will defer that assessment to our health moderator, Jenny.

Latest posts

Back