Is my rabbit too aggressive for bonding?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Euph

Reaction score
Really I think I'm asking at what stage would you stop trying to bond rabbits, or what behaviour would you consider to be an unbondable rabbit?

I am currently trying to bond my speyed female rabbit with my neutered male but she absolutely hates him... and every other rabbit. They have been together (thru bars) for at least 3 weeks now.

She will not bother him if he is caged up and she has free roam but as soon as she is in her cage (and it's a darn large one at that!) and he is free roaming she will very aggressively charge at him from her cage, if he comes up to her cage, she will box and attempt to bite his face.
He is a very enthusiastic young lad, so that is perhaps putting her off but I just don't see how it could get better, she doesn't want a bar of him.

Does she just have no interest in having a rabbit friend? Will she ever calm down to him and stop biting?
Anyone have a similar story?

Just wondering if I should bother as it seems like a stress on us all that's not getting better, I'm worried about him being attacked, I'm worried about her feeling stressed and I'm worried this won't work! He is a little angel and I don't want to get him rabbit aggressive or scared.

Any tips?

It sounds like she's being very conscious about her space being her space as she will mind him only if she's confined. My girl is currently doing the same thing, so her space grids aren't right up to his space grids lest i want to go to the vet for some facial fixing.
When i had both boys, Storm couldn't care less about Lümi when freeroaming, but Lümi always had an irresistible urge to go say hi and get flicked off.
Have you tried placing both in a smallish neutral area and observing their reaction? If they continue to lunge, bite and show agression, then it might be time to try new methods. Have you tried swapping their pens sometimes, their litterboxes, blankets and toys?
I swap Storm and Iris around for the night every few days and in three weeks it's gotten me to a point that they won't grunt at eachother unless startled.
I'm not very experienced with bonding, so you might want to take it not-as-directly.

One option is keeping them in their cages right next to each other with a buffer safety space in between, for a longer period of time, to see if she'll settle down and get used to him. 3 weeks really isn't enough time to come to any conclusion. Other option, with how aggressive she is about defending her territory, if possible you may want to put him in an entirely different area for now, as far from her area as possible and out of visual range if possible. Give it several weeks for her to settle down and essentially forget him, then attempt bonding in a completely neutral space.

With bonding, if one method doesn't seem to be working out, it might be time to switch tactics. No one method works for all rabbits, so you have to be somewhat flexible and ready to adjust when needed.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-bunnies.html
https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Bonding_rabbits_together

Some girls are especially protective of their territory. I had one like that. She had free roam of the downstairs of our home. She rejected male after male (from the rescue). Not only was she being protective of her space, but also very picky. Yours may just be looking for the "right match." This is why I highly recommend people going through a rescue. One can exchange potential bondmates until a compatible one is found.

We ended up doing the bonding upstairs in a room she had never been. It took many weeks to accomplish. Then we had to be very deliberate in how we brought them back downstairs after they were fully bonded. That would be the time when problems could resurface. (Be sure they are absolutely fully bonded before moving them!) The first link from Jenny (@JBun ) above is from my website. The white & gray girl at the top of that page was my difficult girl -- clearly she finally settled on the "right one."

Latest posts

Back