Is my rabbit sick?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amanda2396

Reaction score
I noticed this bald patch on my rabbit about a week ago (first picture) then I saw tonight it has gotten worse (second picture)
I have nothing she can cut herself on in my room. I also have a second rabbit but they both get along and I've never seen them fight. They are rarely left unsupervised.
I was wondering if anyone has seen this before with their rabbit.
I fully intend on bringing her to the vet asap, but any information will be greatly appreciated 🤍🐰

Attachments

• F56517EF-8ACF-4580-800A-87CD0FE53B1A.jpeg
    F56517EF-8ACF-4580-800A-87CD0FE53B1A.jpeg
    126.5 KB · Views: 11
  • EDDF92BB-6F39-48FD-B0D4-14AFAF9ED7EA.jpeg
    EDDF92BB-6F39-48FD-B0D4-14AFAF9ED7EA.jpeg
    100.3 KB · Views: 11
Does your other rabbit ever try and show dominance by mounting this rabbit? Are there any signs of dandruff on the bald patch of skin?

In the picture it looks like it's on the back near the neck behind the ears. This is a common place for rabbits to grab hold of each other when mounting for dominance or hormonal reasons. Fur being pulled out there leading to a significant bald patch and scabbing can happen, but usually only when the mounting is happening frequently because of hormones driving the behavior.
If your buns aren't spayed, that is usually the best way to solve this issue. Hormones will often increase the behavior, even in females, and spaying usually helps calm it down significantly so that it only happens once in a while for dominance reasons. I would also suggest keeping a close eye on any sores to make sure they heal without developing signs of infection.

In the picture it looks like it's on the back near the neck behind the ears. This is a common place for rabbits to grab hold of each other when mounting for dominance or hormonal reasons. Fur being pulled out there leading to a significant bald patch and scabbing can happen, but usually only when the mounting is happening frequently because of hormones driving the behavior.
If your buns aren't spayed, that is usually the best way to solve this issue. Hormones will often increase the behavior, even in females, and spaying usually helps calm it down significantly so that it only happens once in a while for dominance reasons. I would also suggest keeping a close eye on any sores to make sure they heal without developing signs of infection.
thank you so much!!

The first picture I would have thought fur mites, but I don't remember scabs when mine had them. "Dandruff" would have been another clue, plus fur coming off in patches when you pet them. But, if they are not neutered, it is most likely the mounting.

Latest posts

Back