Is my rabbit sick and how do I help her

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JellyBean

Reaction score
So, I think my rabbit may be sick, her nose has been runny and sometimes when I pet her, she makes a much louder and faster clicking kinda like she’s grinding her teeth as if she’s in pain, right now she’s kinda doing the same thing but slower and I’m really worried because I think there’s something wrong with her teeth, but at the same time she’s acting normally, she’s eating hay. drinking and even eating harder foods. My main concern is not being able to go to the vet because my parents never owned a rabbit and when I talk about her maybe being sick. They kind of brush it off..

Check her teeth first to see if dental problem, too long or tooth abcess. I have been researching for our own knowledge and they say this can cause runny noses or sinus issues. Do you know of trusted breeder local to you who you can msg to check out bunny if parents need more assurance a vet is needed? And is there a trained rabbit vet near you? We drive 35min to get a rabbit vet. Their not very common.
Runny nose is NOT normal sorry google some medical vet sites about it and present to your parents to convince them. May help.

So, I think my rabbit may be sick, her nose has been runny and sometimes when I pet her, she makes a much louder and faster clicking kinda like she’s grinding her teeth as if she’s in pain, right now she’s kinda doing the same thing but slower and I’m really worried because I think there’s something wrong with her teeth, but at the same time she’s acting normally, she’s eating hay. drinking and even eating harder foods. My main concern is not being able to go to the vet because my parents never owned a rabbit and when I talk about her maybe being sick. They kind of brush it off..
How long has the nose being runny? If she is eating hay and other foods is unlikely that is a tooth issue. According to my vet, eating hay requires more use of the teeth than pellets and if my bun was eating hay, teeth problems were not likely. Could be a cold, or maybe she inhaled something that is irritating. She could have allergies too. Is there an eye discharge too? If she does not improve or appears to be in pain, she might need antibiotics.

"when I pet her, she makes a much louder and faster clicking kinda like she’s grinding her teeth as if she’s in pain,"
slow teeth grinding is a sign of relaxing

How long has the nose being runny? If she is eating hay and other foods is unlikely that is a tooth issue. According to my vet, eating hay requires more use of the teeth than pellets and if my bun was eating hay, teeth problems were not likely. Could be a cold, or maybe she inhaled something that is irritating. She could have allergies too. Is there an eye discharge too? If she does not improve or appears to be in pain, she might need antibiotics.
Sorry I know I should post a new thread but I’m just wondering when you say allergy
Sorry I know I should post a new thread but when you say rabbit could have allergies what do you mean by it? What can cause allergies in rabbits? Thank you

She has been eating hay, I think it may be allergies because Her nose really only seems to be runny downstairs after she sniffs around and stuff so it might be that’s shes sniffing up dust or smoke things, I’ll keep an eye on her

One key to determining whether it is an infection or not is the color of the discharge. If the discharge from her nose is clear, then it is likely not an infection. If the discharge is milky or any other color, then that is a sure sign of an infection. If it is an infection, a visit to the vet is necessary.

With clear discharge, it could be an allergy or a dental issue. If it is a dental issue, a visual inspection often isn't enough. With a dental issue, a rabbit may stop eating just certain foods. It could be hay or pellets or greens. They chew each of those foods differently, so if it is a dental issue, the problem area will determine what she stops eating. An x-ray would show the problem.

Latest posts

Back