Is My Rabbit Savvy Vet Worth It?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AVIE

~RUBY AND ROSEY RUM BUNS~
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After research to find my local rabbit savvy vet, I was thrilled to find the one listed on the house rabbit society's directory to be just down the road. Yay! I called to set up a first consult meet with and to discuss prices of the spay. The spay alone was $375! I knew it wouldn't be cheap, but wow! This isn't New York City, it's rural Pennsylvania. If that's standard, that's okay, but please give me some insight into what spays cost in different areas. I know getting on the HRS list should mean something and it probably does. Am I just overreacting?

I've heard price quotes even higher than that. But that isn't to say that you can't find cheaper in your area. It really can vary per vet but experience has value too.

In my area, spays are around $250 last I checked.

You can check with a rabbit rescue or a humane society to see if they have any vet partners that offer better prices. I think I paid about $350 to have my rabbit spayed. Next time I'm going to just adopt a rescue bun, then everything is already done.

Theo goes to a rabbit-savvy vet, but that is not where he got neutered. I got Theo neutered for $50 at a local Spay and Neuter Facility. They said that spays cost the same amount. I would call around and see if you can find a spay and neuter facility around you. I trust them because they are really skilled in spays and neuters.

I've been weighing my options and trying to pinpoint my direction. Im leary of using a non exotic vet. The guy is Just down the road and of course this sets him up to know her and continue as a long term vet, in case of any problems down the line. I don't want to skimp and take a chance and kick myself later on. The bun only has one experience here. Just my own peace of mind. - thanks for the input.

There are spay and neuter clinics around that sometimes also do rabbits, but I agree that it could be higher risk than going to a vet that is known to be rabbit knowledgeable. I almost lost a bun at a low cost clinic, then later had him neutered by a really knowledgeable rabbit vet with no issues. It was a lot more expensive though. I think around $300 with the initial exam and blood work that was done as well. As opposed to the $50 at the low cost clinic.

I think you can check around and see if you have any more rabbit savy vets in your area and compare the price.

My spay will cost around 250$, I can find a cheaper clinic but they won’t be as experience 😊

Latest posts

Back