Is my rabbit pregnant?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I got a rex rabbit back in August and I've had her in a cage with a slightly older buck. Well I noticed here recently that she had started getting a round stomach and didnt seem to want to be touched so I didnt get her out of the cage for awhile. Well yesterday I decided to get her out and her stomach is HUGE and pretty tight feeling. Shes probably at exactly 3 months old and I palpated her and I think I felt something but I'm not sure. Shes developing extra fur (not a dewlap but actual fur) on her chest, legs, sides, and stomach. I dont think I have seen any movement of babies so I'm not sure if she is pregnant? I sent a few pictures to a friend who breeds rabbits and she said it looks like she very well could be pregnant. Any answers?

would help if there were pics.... my females normally get agressive when they are pregnant... not sure if thats all females

Hope this helps

Attachments

• USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1540176137761.jpg_1540176161898.jpeg
    USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1540176137761.jpg_1540176161898.jpeg
    42.9 KB · Views: 36
that looks pregnant! if she didn't like you touching her stomach that is a clear sign, my mini rex had the same thing happen and I was sure she was pregnant my mom said "you're just wishful thinking" I was right. keep a close eye on her and keep an eye on her. Put a nest box in depending on how long after she was bred 28 days is when it should go in. I would also move her away from the buck.

I moved her to a cage by herself and I put a nesting box and straw in there but she isnt making a nest... all shes doing is eating it. My friend told me I should probably help her make the nest but I'm not so sure if I should do that.

I moved her to a cage by herself and I put a nesting box and straw in there but she isnt making a nest... all shes doing is eating it. My friend told me I should probably help her make the nest but I'm not so sure if I should do that.
you could a female i had once would let me hand her hay and help her gather it and she would do the building it was really cute, my current female didn't start nesting till the day before birth, she was digging and i thought it was just her "rabbit instincts" but she will soon.

But I'm honestly not for sure how far along she is... is there any way you can get an idea of how pregnant she is from the picture?

So what month was she born? Were you trying to breed her? You really won't know if she's pregnant or not until she passes her due date, but if you don't know when that is that won't help you.
Let her relax laying on her side and firmly but gently cup her belly. If she is far enough along you will feel kits kicking. Its quick little jabs. Like sharp pokes. I could feel babies at 26 days with my holland lop.

So what month was she born? Were you trying to breed her? You really won't know if she's pregnant or not until she passes her due date, but if you don't know when that is that won't help you.
Let her relax laying on her side and firmly but gently cup her belly. If she is far enough along you will feel kits kicking. Its quick little jabs. Like sharp pokes. I could feel babies at 26 days with my holland lop.
I didnt intentionally breed her, but I can feel little circle like things near her sides and if I feel on one of the circles another one becomes alot more feelable on the other side. Shes not very comfortable with me touching on her so I try to do it as minimal as possible but I'll see if I can feel on her again in the morning and I'll give an update.

There’s no way anyone will be able to determine much from the photo. I would count from the day you took her away from the buck, that’s the only way to know for sure.

wow my question would be why did you have her with a male in the first place if you didn't want her to get pregnant as rabbits are AMAZING at breeding breeding breeding! She sure looks pregnant to me, some rabbits only make a nest 3 days before giving birth then full it up with fluff right before/during or after birth. Keep us updated!
(P.S - I've had a rabbit give birth at 10 weeks old, which means she was only 6 weeks old when she got pregnant... totally didn't expect that... the mum pulled her daughter's fluff to encourage her to make a nest and showed her daughter how to look after her bunnies. Nature is incredible and unpredictable!)

wow my question would be why did you have her with a male in the first place if you didn't want her to get pregnant as rabbits are AMAZING at breeding breeding breeding! She sure looks pregnant to me, some rabbits only make a nest 3 days before giving birth then full it up with fluff right before/during or after birth. Keep us updated!
(P.S - I've had a rabbit give birth at 10 weeks old, which means she was only 6 weeks old when she got pregnant... totally didn't expect that... the mum pulled her daughter's fluff to encourage her to make a nest and showed her daughter how to look after her bunnies. Nature is incredible and unpredictable!)
I had always heard and read that does at 3 months couldn't get pregnant so I put her with a buck and I was gonna wait to breed her when she got a few months older but I guess there's no need to wait now. Shes done pregnant lol

So I got a rex rabbit back in August and I've had her in a cage with a slightly older buck. Well I noticed here recently that she had started getting a round stomach and didnt seem to want to be touched so I didnt get her out of the cage for awhile. Well yesterday I decided to get her out and her stomach is HUGE and pretty tight feeling. Shes probably at exactly 3 months old and I palpated her and I think I felt something but I'm not sure. Shes developing extra fur (not a dewlap but actual fur) on her chest, legs, sides, and stomach. I dont think I have seen any movement of babies so I'm not sure if she is pregnant? I sent a few pictures to a friend who breeds rabbits and she said it looks like she very well could be pregnant. Any answers?
I would definitely bring her to a vet usually exotic vets have more knowledge about rabbits
I would also get them fixed there are so many bunnies in rescues that never get a home.
Plus your bunnies are more likely to get several different kinds of cancer

If your doe is only 3 months old then she may not know what to do once she has them. She’s a youngster herself. Just be prepared that you may lose the litter. Once a doe reaches 10-12 weeks of age they have the potential of getting pregnant.

Latest posts

Back