Is my rabbit pregnant?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ebonytherabbit

Reaction score
I have got two rabbits, Ebony and Shadow well shadow is a boy and I put him in the same hutch as Ebony witch is my girl and now they have been together for about 3-4 weeks and over the past week Ebony keeps trying to make nests and has turned suddenly aggressive towards Shadow when they was getting on fine. She seems a little more chubby to. If she is pregnant is there any thing I should do E.g separate the boy and girl and not handle the mother? Please help!

Take the buck out immediately, he will re breed her and that isn't a healthy thing for her. Keep them apart until one or both are desexed. Apart from that give her plenty of food and hay to nest in and spot clean the cage regularly after bubs arrive.

Thank you! Will have to quickly get another hutch for shadow before the babies are born is there any thing else I could do to comfort Ebony during her pregnancy?

Never. I repeat never leave ur buck in the cage with the doe for more than a day, I table breed mine.

The breeder we got Shadow off of said that he was to young to mate yet so we thought we would have enough time to get a hutch before they start mating....... Maybe that was a lie?

Smaller to medium rabbit breeds can reproduce from as early as 12 weeks, some can even do so from 10 weeks of age! Larger breeds take longer to mature.

If Ebony is trying to make nests, give her a nest box so that when she kindles, the kits will be safe in there.

Take the buck out immediately, he will re breed her and that isn't a healthy thing for her. Keep them apart until one or both are desexed. Apart from that give her plenty of food and hay to nest in and spot clean the cage regularly after bubs arrive.

Never. I repeat never leave ur buck in the cage with the doe for more than a day, I table breed mine.

Smaller to medium rabbit breeds can reproduce from as early as 12 weeks, some can even do so from 10 weeks of age! Larger breeds take longer to mature.

If Ebony is trying to make nests, give her a nest box so that when she kindles, the kits will be safe in there.

All this is great advice.

Get the buck our asap. Does can have a double pregnancy which is likely to kill or deform all the kits. There is also a chance the buck will be hostile toward the kits.

If breeding is your plan, take her to his cage, never vice versa. Don't leave them in there together over a day. I prefer s matter of 20-30 minutes while i watch--they can start getting aggressive randomly of they're tired of one another's company.

Give her a nest box with plenty of straw. She'll take care if the rest. There's no real need for comforting her, she's made for this. Just give her a constant supply of food and water (i don't let mine run out when about too deliver our nursing) and give her all the space she needs. I don't handle mine at all the last couple days of a pregnancy. And afterward, only a quick pet or two whole i check on the kits so she can recognize me before stressing out.

Keep an eye on the kits when they're born. Make sure they're staying snuggled and none get out of the box. If you have the time, take them all out one at a time and check their bellies. Put the less fed ones on top so they get prime real estate next feeding.

Nature will take care of the rest.

I'm annoyed with the rabbit breeder now he said shadow was to young to even start mating and stuff yet :(

Both mine are rexes but Ebony is part Dutch so I don't know if that effects her pregnancy time, how early do the rexes start to mature then as when I got shadow he was 16 weeks old and he is about 19 weeks now I'm guessing the breeder said he will take another month or a little longer to mature so we thought he would be alright with Ebony infill we got another hutch

Theres a difference between maturing and having his testicles drop. He can very easily get a female pregnant when hes only 2-3 months old.... As soon as his testicles drop. But he wont be "mature" or fully grown until hes closer to 6 months.
They should have been in seperate hutches when brought home as babys are never bonded until both are spayed and neutered.

The thing is is that no madder what ur purpose is to do with your rabbits wether to breed or neuter you should ALWAYS read about rabbits in every single subject possible even pregnancy. Ik u didn't mean to do that but that was really irresponsible.

Btw don't blame the breeder. You should have researched first.

Think about what you just said.

Most "research" comes from breeders. Which would lead most people to trust the word of a breeder.

And let's not act like you and everyone else hadn't made their share of mistakes while learning.

That's not irresponsibility. That's called a "learning process."

I feel really bad now maybe I am irresponsible maybe I should just get rid of my rabbits :(

I don't think you should get rid of your rabbits. Yes what happened can be seen as irresponsible, but as you said yourself, you were listening to the information the breeder gave you, and breeders should be reliable, unfortunately they're often not if they're not good ones.

Instead of beating yourself up about it, you have lots of people on here who are trying to help you with this, and you are here looking for information and help, which is good. What's done is done, all you can do now is provide the best care that you can from this point on by learning as much as you can and applying it to the housing/care of your rabbits.

We have a 2 floored hutch but the problem is we close off the bottom from the top and shadow was ment to be kept on the bottom but shadow keeps getting on top and my mum keeps telling me there is not enough room for ebony on the top so we are trying to keep them separate but its just not going to good :/

There needs to be a minimum of 18 inches height onto each floor of the hutch

The hutch is big maybe I can attached a picture to this of the hutch idk if I can I'm new to this app

Just measure it.if it's at least 3 foot tall with 18 inches on reach floor It's big enough.

Latest posts

Back