Is my rabbit mad at me?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hxkev

Reaction score
I tried to put a harness on Dante, he didn't like it very much so I kinda forced it on him, and I know I shouldn't do that but we're planning to go on a holiday this weekend and I wanted to get him used to wearing it. I could see he was flicking his feet and was really stressed and stiff when i touched him, but now after I took it off, he's just laying on the floor with his feet out and when I pet him he does that tooth grinding thing which I think is supposed to mean that he likes it (hes also breathing heavily which could be because he's exhausted or maybe it's something else). I have no idea if he just forgave me like nothing happend or he's still mad at me and he's just hiding it. What are the signs of him still hating me and how can I become friends with him again?

Dante's 8 months old and we got him 2 months ago. He was also neutered about a month ago.

Why does he need to wear a harness? Start out getting him used to the harness by just draping it on him and petting him and give him a treat. Do that until he gets used to the feel of the harness. When you do put the harness on him, it helps to have some distractions around. If there are other people paying attention to him, he may think less about the harness. Put it on him for just a short period of time until he gets used to wearing it.

Are you sure you didn't injure him by forcibly put that harness on him? Grinding teeth can mean they are in pain. And also, be careful about the type of harness you are using. Nothing should be wrapped around your bunny's neck, it's very fragile and full of very important nerves to the head.

Skip the harness for this weekend. There isn't enough time for him to get used to it...let alone wear it in a strange place. It can take weeks for him just to get used to the harness when the harness is just laying near him-- before it is ever put on him. It can take months to get a rabbit used to wearing a harness.

After he is used to the harness (not on him), then he has to get used to it on him while he's indoors. Then he has to get used to it while he's indoors and being 'led' around. Then he has to get gradually used to wearing it out of doors. It is a long process.

Keep him in a carrier when he's not in a portable cage while on holiday.

Latest posts

Back