Is my rabbit fat?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mariam+Theo

Reaction score
So people have been saying that my rabbit is fat. Is it true? He is an Mini Rex and fed 1/4 cup of pellets along with unlimited timothy hay. Do I need to cut down on the pellets? The breeder I got him from said that she gives her rabbits unlimited pellets and I don't think that is the healthiest. He used to be fed 1/2 a cup of pellets so I cut it down. Thank so much.

Attachments

• 7346667570053498445 (2).jpg
    7346667570053498445 (2).jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 25
It is very difficult to tell from a photo, the best way is to asses his body condition physically, particularly by feeling for the bony prominences such as the spine and ribs:

Attachments

• AF0E3197-ACD2-4928-8CAC-78D9E8318699.jpeg
    AF0E3197-ACD2-4928-8CAC-78D9E8318699.jpeg
    55.1 KB · Views: 18
Thanks, i'll try to get a better picture tomorrow. It is getting dark outside so the lighting was bad when I just went outside to get a better picture.

Even with a better picture nobody can really tell you if your rabbit is in good condition without laying hands on him! You’ll be the best judge, have a feel for those landmarks next time you’re having a cuddle :)

I'm bringing this back up because recently when I took Theo to the vet he weighed 5 lbs. He had a full belly at the time and was bigger than normal because he had a small bloat. When I try to feel his ribs I have to apply a small amount of pressure but I think it is just because of his thick rex fur, and because it is winter. When he goes through a big molt I can sometimes see his ribs, but not normally. He gets unlimited timothy hay, 1/4 cup of pellets, and 2 cups of veggies when I can afford them (which is often). I looked at that picture that @Popsicles sent and I think he is not quite at 4 (Overweight) but he is close. What could I do to get him back to 3 (Ideal)?

5lbs is an ok weight as long as he doesn't get any bigger. The max weight for a show mini rex is 4 1/2 lbs. That is the exact diet that I fed my mini rexes. And they stayed at 4 1/2- 5 lbs. But if they were under 6 months I would free feed pellets. Or I would free feed if moms were nursing. I would usually stop free-feeding at 4 months old and start to get them on a limited pellet diet. Always unlimited hay no matter the age.

Weight isn’t a great way of determining if they are fat or not sue to such variation in size, coat thickness, full tummies, etc. If you’re worried about weight it should hopefully go down in the summer, but maybe try cutting down the fresh veg, it is less important than the hay (and pellets).

I'm bringing this back up because recently when I took Theo to the vet he weighed 5 lbs. He had a full belly at the time and was bigger than normal because he had a small bloat. When I try to feel his ribs I have to apply a small amount of pressure but I think it is just because of his thick rex fur, and because it is winter. When he goes through a big molt I can sometimes see his ribs, but not normally. He gets unlimited timothy hay, 1/4 cup of pellets, and 2 cups of veggies when I can afford them (which is often). I looked at that picture that @Popsicles sent and I think he is not quite at 4 (Overweight) but he is close. What could I do to get him back to 3 (Ideal)?
Restrict pellets to no more than 1tbsp a day, basically think of pellets as treats. That will help. Also, no fruit, no treats other than bits of fresh herbs.

We have no idea if Apollo is a big mini Rex or a small Rex because he weighs 5lb too! Our vet says that he is a good weight but every bunny person I’ve met says he’s a mini rex! The shelter did say he was a Rex though, so I’m probably just assuming!!!
As for getting his weight down, I use pellets as a treats because he is addicted! And make sure he gets a lot of exersize!

Thanks for your suggestions. I will limit his pellets. He is a mix of something with Mini Rex because the breeder adopted his mom without knowing who the dad was. I'm thinking the dad was a Harlequin.

You can take away the pellets, bunnies don’t really need pellets if they can hold up their weight alone and get a variety of leafy greens + good hay ^^

Myself own an overweight bunny but no vet have comment on it because they just assume he’s a growing kit, he will turn 3 years old...

Unlimited Hay as always, 1/4 cup of pellet food, and no more than 2 cups of fresh veggies should do it as long as he has plenty of exercise. You could also try to do no pellet food diet and see if that helps:). If you think there is a real problem, always consult your rabbit savvy vet and they'll tell you what to do

We recently saw the vet and they didn't say anything, so I don't know. He will be going to the vet soon (again) to get his teeth checked (they didn't check his teeth last time even though I paid for it) and I will ask about his weight then! Thanks for all the answers.

Latest posts

Back