Is my male still too hormonal to bond?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geneypie

Reaction score
I have a neutered male and spayed female, both done 6 weeks ago. It seems like her hormones have died down completely, but he is still honking at her and trying to mount her.

Their bonding is going okay but it is taking longer than I expected, I'm wondering if I'm not doing it right? For the past 3 weeks I've been keeping them in separate rooms and giving them time together every day in the hallway (neutral and with access to both of their rooms). There is no aggression and she seems to like him, I've even seen her groom him a couple of times. At the beginning she was mounting him but she seems to have stopped that. You can see in her body language that she's relaxing and expecting him to groom her, but he is more interested in her back end. It doesn't help that he's not a very licky rabbit.
I've also allowed them to go into each others' rooms and neither of them has a problem with that.
At night they're both shut in their own rooms and can't see each other- I'm wondering if I should move one to the hall with a baby gate between them so they are in constant contact?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Last edited:
Usually by 4-6 weeks the hormones have faded, though in some cases it can take up to 8 weeks. So maybe give it another 2 weeks before trying to fully bond. As long as she's not getting upset at him, I might still supervise dates and pull him off when he attempts to mount her. If you can get them to lay down next to each other while you give head rubs, that's a good bonding activity. Also other distractions like feeding together and giving their veggies together.

Moving so they are always in contact may help him settle down faster. He might just be getting overly excited to see her again each time and it's causing this excited behavior and not hormones. If it doesn't upset your doe, I would move him to her room and split the room if you can, or do the hallway thing.

Latest posts

Back