Is my bunny truly a dwarf rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Margarida Correia

Reaction score
Jasmim (my rabbit who I’ve just found out is actually a female) is about 2 months old (from what I was told) and weighs, at the moment, about 1.2 pounds (550g). When I adopted her, they told me she was a dwarf rabbit. My veterinarian couldn’t tell if it is true or not (I asked) and told me that she had adopted a bunny in the past thinking it was a dwarf but it grew to be a normal rabbit.
My question is: Can you tell me your thoughts? Does she look like a dwarf rabbit?

Attachments

• 00C01A92-741A-4BD3-BF09-F375C5297BE5.jpeg
    00C01A92-741A-4BD3-BF09-F375C5297BE5.jpeg
    52.4 KB · Views: 81
A dwarf rabbit can be anywhere from 1.5 pounds to 5 pounds depending on the breed. You’ll have to monitor it’s growth to truly know for sure whether or not it is. The photo you attached looks like it may be a Lionhead/Dwarf cross meaning it will most likely be in the 3-5 pound weight range. However only time will tell for certain.

Hard to tell if it a dwarf rabbits but it also depends on if your rabbit have the dwarf genes in it.

For example I have a pure breed netherland dwarf full grown and he weights around 700 g, he’s a bit overweight my rabbit. But his brother weight around 2 kg. But both classified as dwarfes.

My netherland dwarf at 2 months weighted around 180 g and when he stopped growing he was around 480 g.

Aw what a sweet little rabbit.
He does have the very round eyes that nethies have but not the classic face shape or ear length. He might be what is termed a "false dwarf". This is when both parents are netherland dwarfs but the offspring got a non-dwarf gene from both parents. They are often larger then the breed standard and have longer ears. Usually they need a dwarf gene and non dwarf gene to look like the breed standard.
Be aware though, people often sell rabbits as dwarfs as they are more appealing to most. Pet stores do this too. These could just be any breed or mix breed of rabbit that is just a baby so they can get away with calling them dwarfs. Or perhaps they truly think they are.
If that's him at 11 weeks, I think your rabbit will stay smallish in size. Love his eyebrow!

Right now, she looks to be a Jersey Wooly or possibly Lionhead. Both rabbits are small, the Lionhead being the smaller of the two. Wait until she’s a little older, about 4-6 months, and take another picture, with her weight.

I would agree with klara. She looks like a lion-head/dwarf mix. So the people may have thought that she could be marketed as a “dwarf”. I only say that because of her relatively small size, and the fact that she has key traits from both breeds, and she looks just like my neighbors dwarf/lion-head mix, which are sometimes called mini lion-heads. So if that is the case, she will probably stay around 3 lbs. full grown. But no matter what she is, she is adorable!

Latest posts

Back