Is my bunny tri colored? coloration questions.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pigglebread

Reaction score
Would you call this tri colored? The vet got me curious when asking what his coloration was and I'm unsure myself. He's got orange,cream,white, and black splotches all over. He's a holland lop, or so it said.

thumb2_74537_10151611889747519_673418098_n-6523.jpg

thumb2_547513_10151597275782519_895272017_n-6526.jpg

Three, count 'em, three folks! One two THREE colours for the price of one!

I guess I'd say the cream and orange could be the same color but there are some cream colors in his fur much lighter then the orange you clearly see here, so he's quad colored? lol

Sheer cuteness!!! I have 4 Holland Lops....and I will never own any other breed again! I am completely biased, prejudice and completely in love with my Hollands! We have one who is also a tri...she is mostly white....but both her gray and creams are shaded lighter or darker in spots....but she is still considered a tri...I will try to post a photo later when I have access to a computer (don't know how from my phone, LOL). How old is he and how much does he weigh? Hard to tell from the photos if he is a Holland or a Mini....size, weight, facial features and ear size and length are notable differences. Regardless TOO CUTE!!!

Sheer cuteness!!! I have 4 Holland Lops....and I will never own any other breed again! I am completely biased, prejudice and completely in love with my Hollands! We have one who is also a tri...she is mostly white....but both her gray and creams are shaded lighter or darker in spots....but she is still considered a tri...I will try to post a photo later when I have access to a computer (don't know how from my phone, LOL). How old is he and how much does he weigh? Hard to tell from the photos if he is a Holland or a Mini....size, weight, facial features and ear size and length are notable differences. Regardless TOO CUTE!!!

She sounds extremely cute :D! I'm only guesstimating his age 7 weeks back from when I received him because he was much smaller then but he's a little over 4 months old and just weighed him yesterday at the vet for 3 pounds and 11 ounces. Face is pretty roundish I think and I measured his ears at 4 inches.

I think you may have to wait a little longer to know for sure if he is a Holland or a Mini...Hollands are generally 3-4 pounds and minis are usually 4-6 pounds! Having said that....Funfetti, our tri is a mutant....she is 100% Holland lop however she looks more like a mini....her ears are longer and her body is longer. She is 3 1/2 months old and was well over 3 pounds a month ago when we brought her home. SO.....you may have a "mutant" Holland like ours...or a mini! Either way, absolutely too cute and both Hollands and Minis make great pets in my opinion!

Weight may not be the best indicator of breed in this instance. Harlequin is a very underdeveloped color in the lop breeds, so the type on them is typically (though not always) very poor. That doesn't effect their temperament or personality at all and any bunny can certainly be a wonderful pet! It just means that the rabbit may not exhibit characteristics close to the recognized breed standard. A harlie/tri Holland, for instance, will typically be longer in body, face and ear than a show Holland. Likewise, they may be larger or more "broody" overall.

Based on the look of the rabbit in the pictures, my guess would be Holland lineage more than Mini Lop. But without seeing the parents or having a pedigree in hand, it would be tough to be sure on this color.

Thank you OakRidgeRabbits! I love learning new information! I have the Harlequin (my icon photo) who is a Holland....He is a little over six months, very small and does not really have the typical Holland face (now that he is older) Then we also have the tri that I was referring to in my posts who is a mini lop in type size ears.....and she is 100% Holland....I have seen both her parents! I think her size was also helped by the fact that she was the only on in her litter. I am going to try to attach a picture of Funfetti....haven't attached photos before....so we will see what happens.

Funfetti.jpg

Latest posts

Back