Is my bunny too young to eat vegetables??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pookypoof

Reaction score
I got my bunny about 5 days ago. My dad, the one who got me the bunny, said that the breeder he got the bunny from told him to not feed the bunny any vegetables for 2 months. I’m not sure if it’s because my bunny is too young to eat or if it’s because he needs to get used to his environment. My bunny is not exactly too young, and he seems old enough to eat vegetables. I don’t know his exact age. Is he old enough to eat vegetables yet??? Was the breeder correct?

Attachments

• 48F6AFF4-0B1C-467B-AA2D-39DBF811E893.jpeg
    48F6AFF4-0B1C-467B-AA2D-39DBF811E893.jpeg
    108.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 6D7BD430-E1F1-43BB-A6A4-93A3B55A9BC0.jpeg
    6D7BD430-E1F1-43BB-A6A4-93A3B55A9BC0.jpeg
    100 KB · Views: 2
  • 71E72491-6220-4665-A2E8-A2288CB74D3F.jpeg
    71E72491-6220-4665-A2E8-A2288CB74D3F.jpeg
    86.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 9D2ADAE2-67D0-47F1-86C8-C8A9975FFFCB.jpeg
    9D2ADAE2-67D0-47F1-86C8-C8A9975FFFCB.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 2
It depends on how they react to them. Different veggies and fruits will effect bunnies that if given too much, you can tell by their droppings. You can never give too little though. If youd like to try to see if your bunny will react well, give them a tiny piece of lettuce. Just ONE! And not big at all. Watch its droppings. Gross but most effective way to tell. If they dont come out in little pellets, too soft and blondish, or one big log of them non separated. Then wait on the veggies. Try to focus on the hay. Hay is good and helps digestion when giving fruits and veggies. But start with a tiny piece today, and if all is well with tiny pellet poops, work your way up from there. But looks pretty young so stay with a low amount for now. ADULT rabbits can only eat UP TO a cup of loose veggies and fruits a day. So do NOT feed alot of them while young. A leaf here, a leaf there should do as a tasty snack a few times a week for now.

It depends on how they react to them. Different veggies and fruits will effect bunnies that if given too much, you can tell by their droppings. You can never give too little though. If youd like to try to see if your bunny will react well, give them a tiny piece of lettuce. Just ONE! And not big at all. Watch its droppings. Gross but most effective way to tell. If they dont come out in little pellets, too soft and blondish, or one big log of them non separated. Then wait on the veggies. Try to focus on the hay. Hay is good and helps digestion when giving fruits and veggies. But start with a tiny piece today, and if all is well with tiny pellet poops, work your way up from there. But looks pretty young so stay with a low amount for now. ADULT rabbits can only eat UP TO a cup of loose veggies and fruits a day. So do NOT feed alot of them while young. A leaf here, a leaf there should do as a tasty snack a few times a week for now.
Thank you so much !

I would introduce safe veggies slowly. He is still small so I would not rush it. I agree with @Kellsb, give him lots of hay and keep an eye on his poops.

I got my bunny about 5 days ago. My dad, the one who got me the bunny, said that the breeder he got the bunny from told him to not feed the bunny any vegetables for 2 months. I’m not sure if it’s because my bunny is too young to eat or if it’s because he needs to get used to his environment. My bunny is not exactly too young, and he seems old enough to eat vegetables. I don’t know his exact age. Is he old enough to eat vegetables yet??? Was the breeder correct?
Hi, your rabbit looks like about 2 months old so I would just follow advice the breeder gave you. Usually vegetables are slowly introduced at 4-6 months, depending on your bunnies personal sensibility as well. So if your breeder suggested to wait another two months with vegs it's best to listen to them.
It's not because he can't eat, he will eat if you will offer, it's just because he can have upset stomach after that, you don't want diarrhea or dirty bum or bloating tummy or other health problems for your bunny, right? So just be patient and do what the breeder suggested rabbits are very fragile creatures and as it's your first rabbit you will need to learn how to keep him healthy and happy, also don't give too much pellets, he needs lots of hay to keep his tummy healthy so don't experiment with foods, no human food as well, no bread or grain or milk based treats, no cooked food and please don't share your sandwiches with him!

I agree with @zuppa. It is best to wait out the 2 months. Offering greens too soon can cause serious imbalance in the gut flora.

It is really important to regulate your rabbit's diet because they don't know what or how much is safe to eat. They will eat themselves sick if allowed. They will even eat poisonous plants if allowed because they don't know better. There will be plenty of time later on to feed him greens.

When the time comes to feed him greens, remember that there is a right way and plenty of wrong ways to introduce greens. Check here to learn the safe way.

Hi, your rabbit looks like about 2 months old so I would just follow advice the breeder gave you. Usually vegetables are slowly introduced at 4-6 months, depending on your bunnies personal sensibility as well. So if your breeder suggested to wait another two months with vegs it's best to listen to them.
It's not because he can't eat, he will eat if you will offer, it's just because he can have upset stomach after that, you don't want diarrhea or dirty bum or bloating tummy or other health problems for your bunny, right? So just be patient and do what the breeder suggested rabbits are very fragile creatures and as it's your first rabbit you will need to learn how to keep him healthy and happy, also don't give too much pellets, he needs lots of hay to keep his tummy healthy so don't experiment with foods, no human food as well, no bread or grain or milk based treats, no cooked food and please don't share your sandwiches with him!
Thank you so much !

Latest posts

Back