Is my bunny ok?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your giving him to many veggies and fruits. Do Not limit the hay, also switch from alfafa. I believe that alfafa should only be fed to babies under 10weeks old. Feed less pellets, maybe 1/4 a cup. Get orchard grass as rabbits ussullay love it!
Hello, I’m back. I just game to ask how many times I should feed the 1/4 of a cup to louie. I fed him 1/4 right for the night and I filled up his litter box thats in his box with hay so he can eat both. Idk if it’s once or two times a day.

Hello, I’m back. I just game to ask how many times I should feed the 1/4 of a cup to louie. I fed him 1/4 right for the night and I filled up his litter box thats in his box with hay so he can eat both. Idk if it’s once or two times a day.
It’s about 1/4cup once a day. I split mine into two 1/8 cup meals, one in the morning and one in the evening

Don't give more than 1/4 cup (still a lot!) once a day. But I give a few pellets several times a day. It's a good way to check they are eating.

Sorry I'm late to the parTaY..
Here's my two cents worth:

You must stop all treats, pellets and greens/fruits.
Hay and water only for a week straight, no gives (I know how those sweet twitchy little noses can make you cave, but don't do it 😆)

No alfalfa anymore, that's for baby buns.

My last girl was THE PICKIEST hay eater, I had to get 4 different kinds of hay and rotate or mix them.

For hay I purchased: Timothy, orchard, oat and also oxbow hay stacks with chamomile.
The hay stacks always got her eating her hay again. When you start to re-introduce veggies/fruits back in, do so 1-2 at a time once a week and see if that helps. I'd also stick to oxbow pellets but only ever give up to 1/4 cup a day. I give theirs at dinnertime, but make pellets the last thing you re-introduce.

My little fella has what we call intermittent soft cecaltropes or ISC. He is a doublemane lionhead so his fur is longer than other buns and so he gets clumps stuck to his underbottom if I don't notice he's got a flare up of ISC.

You can read about it here:
https://rabbit.org/intermittent-soft-cecotropes-in-rabbits/
But when in doubt, always take bun bun to a vet for a check. I understand your bun is young, but it may be having tooth spurs which would cause bun a great deal of pain when eating, so they don't want to. There could be an underlying condition.

Hay and water only for a week straight, no gives (I know how those sweet twitchy little noses can make you cave, but don't do it 😆)

My last girl was THE PICKIEST hay eater, I had to get 4 different kinds of hay and rotate or mix them.

For hay I purchased: Timothy, orchard, oat and also oxbow hay stacks with chamomile.
The hay stacks always got her eating her hay again. When you start to re-introduce veggies/fruits back in, do so 1-2 at a time once a week and see if that helps. I'd also stick to oxbow pellets but only ever give up to 1/4 cup a day. I give theirs at dinnertime, but make pellets the last thing you re-introduce.

My little fella has what we call intermittent soft cecaltropes or ISC. He is a doublemane lionhead so his fur is longer than other buns and so he gets clumps stuck to his underbottom if I don't notice he's got a flare up of ISC.

But when in doubt, always take bun bun to a vet for a check. I understand your bun is young, but it may be having tooth spurs which would cause bun a great deal of pain when eating, so they don't want to. There could be an underlying condition.
Yesterday and today I went to go check up on his poops and there’s great progress. They went from dark to light. I only fed him less than a cup of greens cause someone told me if I really wanted to feed him greens I could but only once a day. As for the pellets he likes his(they’re alfalfa idk if I should switch them out for other ones? If so please tell me which type) I give him 1-4 a day. I usually try to give it to him when he goes into his cage for the night. Sometimes he looks for the pellets. Should I block him off from trying to get his pellets so he can go munch on his hay? If so I will. He also has hay in his cage as I noticed his other litter box he’s not a big fan of anymore ??? Doesn’t even recognize that’s where he poops now. I’m not sure if he just forgot or if he hates it there now. Is there a way I can encourage him to use it again? As for treats someone said I could give him 1 heart a day(broken down into pieces so he can get some throughout the day).

For him to use it or eat his hay I have to manually put him there and he’ll stay in there for like 10-30min. He’ll hop right out and then forget abt it. I just put him in there everytime and if he tries to get out I just block his way out then he stays in there.

@BinkyLouie good stuff 👍 on the poops.
I use these pellets pictured, for my buns. As long as you don't give more that 1/4 cup a day that's enough. If he leaves them and goes back to them that is fine, I wouldn't block him off from them if he hasn't eaten them all.
If he has decided to use one litterbox more than another then I'd say it's safe to remove the one he doesn't use.
Hay is THE MOST IMPORTANT for them to eat. Greens are fine but not as an all day thing.
Maybe set feeding times? I have 7am for box cleaning and fresh hay (my buns are freerun and use their litterbox to eat their hay because bunnies love to eat while they poop. Here's a photo of my LittleMiss Moomoo in her box right now) where I top up throughout the day.
They get their 1/4 cup pellets at 5pm and a small plate of different veggies that can consist of things like fresh dill, romaine lettuce, parsley. You can find a safe and not safe list of what to feed, if you search online.

Attachments

• IMG_20210507_063856912.jpg
    IMG_20210507_063856912.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20210507_073159130.jpg
    IMG_20210507_073159130.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 4
For him to use it or eat his hay I have to manually put him there and he’ll stay in there for like 10-30min. He’ll hop right out and then forget abt it. I just put him in there everytime and if he tries to get out I just block his way out then he stays in there.
its 1 cup of greens per body weight, since yours is under 6 months its 1/2 cup of greens per body weight, do you know how much she/he weighs?

its 1 cup of greens per body weight, since yours is under 6 months its 1/2 cup of greens per body weight, do you know how much she/he weighs?
I’m not sure how much he weighs. We haven’t went in for a doctors visit. We’ll be going in soon I think. I’m not sure though because we’re trying to see if could get him neutered for free.. it’s really expensive to neuter him at the best vet we have here. It’s 500-600 dollars. We planned to get him his vaccinations there though. I’m not sure still though. We’re still trying to see what’s gonna happen. As of right now he eats, 1/4(once) of a cup of veggies but I can lower it down to 1/2.. 1/4(alfalfa pellets) 1 oxbow treat broken into 4 pieces. He gets one every 4 hours starting from 8:30 or 9 usually ends around 9-10PM. I’m seeing if I should feed his pellets round 5PM or a bit later.. I usually give them around 3-4? Sometimes earlier. It depends but it’s definitely around 3-7PM and his veggies are always given at 12 but that’s how his schedule is right now. I just replenished his hay today. I’ve restocked in his litter and I’ll be restocking in his hay soon since he is almost done with his hay.(Timothy hay) He has two litter boxes one inside and one in his cage so he has unlimited access to his hay. He’s free roam all day starting from when I wake which is 8:00AM and around 9-10:30PM. I then put him away. I make sure he has his ball n everything. He loves them. They’re safe to chew on all the way through. He’s actually munching on hay rn. Very happy with the progress he’s made since the weekend. I was very concerned but he seems better than ever!

@BinkyLouie good stuff 👍 on the poops.
I use these pellets pictured, for my buns. As long as you don't give more that 1/4 cup a day that's enough. If he leaves them and goes back to them that is fine, I wouldn't block him off from them if he hasn't eaten them all.
If he has decided to use one litterbox more than another then I'd say it's safe to remove the one he doesn't use.
Hay is THE MOST IMPORTANT for them to eat. Greens are fine but not as an all day thing.
Maybe set feeding times? I have 7am for box cleaning and fresh hay (my buns are freerun and use their litterbox to eat their hay because bunnies love to eat while they poop. Here's a photo of my LittleMiss Moomoo in her box right now) where I top up throughout the day.
They get their 1/4 cup pellets at 5pm and a small plate of different veggies that can consist of things like fresh dill, romaine lettuce, parsley. You can find a safe and not safe list of what to feed, if you search online.
Check out what I put for one of the other members who responded to me! I forgot I had left the tab open to respond to you. The response is for both of you.

Check out what I put for one of the other members who responded to me! I forgot I had left the tab open to respond to you. The response is for both of you.
what breed is your rabbit? I can give you better suggestions with that :)

what breed is your rabbit? I can give you better suggestions with that :)
Mine is a Havana mix. I’m not sure with what but definitely a mix. I’m not sure if you know the YouTube Lennon the bunny but it’s similar looking to her rabbit. I’ve input a picture of him.

Attachments

• D44BECFA-5699-4B90-92CC-0C197AF99857.jpeg
    D44BECFA-5699-4B90-92CC-0C197AF99857.jpeg
    166.5 KB · Views: 2
Mine is a Havana mix. I’m not sure with what but definitely a mix. I’m not sure if you know the YouTube Lennon the bunny but it’s similar looking to her rabbit. I’ve input a picture of him.
I would say you could give them 1 1/2 cups of veggies

Our rabbit, male, 5 lbs. should be given FIVE cups of greens per day then?
I don’t think you should/can exceed veggies 2-3 times a day. Usually people get their rabbits veggies in the morning, mid day then in the afternoon. When I had an adult rabbit I would feed him at 9-10AM then wait a few hours so like 3-4 hours then I would feed him again so at 1 or 2PM and then finally 5-6PM. I think also people give their rabbits pellets towards the end of the day around 4-7. It depends on their schedule. Obviously Timothy pellets or if you have a young rabbit it would be alfalfa pellets. My adult rabbit would receive a handful of veggies those three times. Around a cup or a bit less.

I found this for you, hope it helps to understand feeding per age.
https://rabbit.org/faq-diet/
I know this isn’t related to that but my rabbit was grinding his teeth or something. It just looked like he was chewing something for a few seconds then he flopped on the floor and laid there. Is this ok? I’m not sure what it means. I know rabbits usually purr with their teeth when you pet them but I wasn’t petting him. He was just bathing himself then he sat there a few seconds which was when it looked like he chewing something or grinding his teeth. It wasn’t loud but I was a good distance away from him but not far enough where I couldn’t see him. He then yawned and then laid down with his legs back. He only did this twice. These are the first times I’ve seen him do this. Just wondering if I should be concerned or not.

Teeth grinding can be cause for an underlying issue, but if it's the first time you heard it it may be hard to say what bun is doing it for. Keep tabs on that because grinding teeth is usually a sign of pain.
However, the "purring" they can do when pleased and content can be louder than you'd expect making it seem like they are grinding. May be something to speak with your vet over.
As for laying down after and legs out, do you mean something like this?
My bunnies (you can barely see my black fella behind my girl doing the same thing) lay in many different positions. This is their side lay. It shows they are content in their surroundings.

Attachments

• IMG_20210428_145353466.jpg
    IMG_20210428_145353466.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 2

Latest posts

Back