Is my bunny is shedding?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ilovemyrabbit

Elise - Introductions & Blogs Moderator
Reaction score
Its been getting really hot out these last two months and we don't have any air conditioning so I've been giving Ash frozen water bottles. Anyway, today after getting Ash a frozen water bottle I was petting him and rubbing my hands on the frozen water bottle than petting his head and ears with my cold hands. Anyway, after petting him for a while I noticed that there was fur stuck all over my hands. Not like huge chunks of fur, just fur.

Anyway, I think he's shedding. I've had Ash for about a year now. And he's a little over a year old. He's never shedded before so I'm not sure what to do about it. Should I get any special brushes to brush him with to help him shed the fur? I have a brush that supposedly already does that. I'll try brushing him with it right after I post this. What I need is advice on what to do.

Thanks! :)

Just brush him a lot, there's not much else you can do really. If you brush him it will keep him from ingesting so much when he grooms too. I think you can give them papaya or pineapple to help them digest any hair, but don't quote me on that :p So yeah, not a huge thing to do, just brush him regularly. I find that Bandit's water bowl gets lots of fur in it so you may need to change that a little more often if you notice a lot of fur in it too so he doesn't ingest it that way.

Thanks Azerane! I was worried about him ingesting his fur but I guess if I brush him it should help. Ash doesn't drink out of a water bowl he drinks out of a water bottle so I don't have that problem. I guess I'll just brush him a lot and hope for the best.

Do you know how long they shed? For a couple of weeks? A couple of months?

Thanks! :)

How long he sheds depends on the rabbit, I suspect that because he hasn't moulted at all yet it may mean he gets through it quickly, some rabbits are like that, moult once or twice a year and briefly. Whereas it seems Bandit is sort of in a long slow-progressing moult. But I suppose you'll find out soon enough, lol.

I would be careful with the bottles as some rabbits fur do clump in contact with water. Water with urine always bring about urine burns and staining. They may at times bring about fungus or liver problems in prolong cases.

Latest posts

Back