Is my balcony properly rabbit proofed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gabigabi

Reaction score
Since the weather is getting warmer and I know we're gonna want to be around the balcony again, I want to make sure it is safe for my bunny as well, as I'm sure he'll want to come along.

The problem is, next to the floor, my balcony has these open gaps (pictures attached), which are secured with nets because of the cats and my kid but which I'm afraid bun might chew and be able to go through.

So what I did was, I covered them all up with some spare materials I had around and put home base no.1 in front of the rest.

I can't invest in anything specific right now so I really gotta improvise, or, if not enough, just don't let my bunny out on the balcony.

Is that safe enough? IMG_20191014_130720.jpegIMG_20191014_130716.jpegIMG_20191014_130705.jpegIMG_20191014_131103.jpeg

If I'm understanding right, the net-looking thing is being blocked by the yellow rabbit cage while the rest is blocked by the wood shutters. If bunny can't move the cage or knock over the shutters, then that looks fine.

If I'm understanding right, the net-looking thing is being blocked by the yellow rabbit cage while the rest is blocked by the wood shutters. If bunny can't move the cage or knock over the shutters, then that looks fine.
That's exactly it. Thanks for your help!

Based on the last picture, it looks like you're on the second floor or higher? Rabbits aren't stupid. Even if yours gets through all the barricading (which looks sufficient to me), he shouldn't have any interest in trying to make the jump down! Cats, maybe - their bodies are designed for large leaps and drops... but not rabbits. Back when we had a second floor apartment that had a HUGE patio (with railing that all of our rabbits could've very easily squeezed through or under), we used to toss rabbits out there for a couple hours any time the weather was cool enough and then go back inside and keep an eye on them through the open bedroom window. The only rabbit-proofing I ever did was using screw eyes and carabiners to clip a 2-panel stretch of x-pen fencing across the opening to our patio. At first, I was really paranoid and stayed out there with them to make sure they had no interest in making the much smaller drop/jump onto the staircase that went past one side of our patio, but none of them ever even thought about pulling a 'Houdini'.

Thank you, that's really useful information. I guess I'm used to being a cat owner - and a mom lmao. Kids and cats will jump out of pretty much everything so maybe I was a bit too paranoid!

Thanks for the help!
Based on the last picture, it looks like you're on the second floor or higher? Rabbits aren't stupid. Even if yours gets through all the barricading (which looks sufficient to me), he shouldn't have any interest in trying to make the jump down! Cats, maybe - their bodies are designed for large leaps and drops... but not rabbits. Back when we had a second floor apartment that had a HUGE patio (with railing that all of our rabbits could've very easily squeezed through or under), we used to toss rabbits out there for a couple hours any time the weather was cool enough and then go back inside and keep an eye on them through the open bedroom window. The only rabbit-proofing I ever did was using screw eyes and carabiners to clip a 2-panel stretch of x-pen fencing across the opening to our patio. At first, I was really paranoid and stayed out there with them to make sure they had no interest in making the much smaller drop/jump onto the staircase that went past one side of our patio, but none of them ever even thought about pulling a 'Houdini'.

One thing I just wanted to mention really quickly is to make sure that your rabbit can't chew on the plant on the left side of the balcony because it could be potentially harmful. By the way I love your cat planters on the table, adorable.

Thank you a lot for the tip about the plant! It's actually accessible to him so I'm gonna change that asap. Also thanks for the remark on the planters lol... As you can see they match my actual cats!

Latest posts

Back