Is my 8-week old mix a carrier of the dwarf and/or lop genes?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hendrix

Reaction score
I was told in the pet store that he's a first-gen mix between a lionhead and a lop (whether this was a holland lop or a mini lop I'm unsure). He's a bit over 8 weeks old and his ears were super upright until about 3 days ago when they started to get slightly farther apart on his head and flop more forward, but is this just a sign he's maturing toward having adult lionhead ears, or that they're lopping? Also, does he carry the dwarf gene (not sure if you can tell from pics.) All the pictures I've attached have been taken within the last 5 days. Thanks so much for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_6181.JPG
    IMG_6181.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6203.jpg
    IMG_6203.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6183.JPG
    IMG_6183.JPG
    200.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6386.JPG
    IMG_6386.JPG
    180.7 KB · Views: 10
You will know when he stops growing if he have the dwarf gene or not because your bunny is still a growing kit if he’s younger than 6 months.

You will know when he stops growing if he have the dwarf gene or not because your bunny is still a growing kit if he’s younger than 6 months.
Cool, thanks! Judging by his crown, do you think his ears will lop?

Attachments

• IMG_6382.JPG
    IMG_6382.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 6
Cool, thanks! Judging by his crown, do you think his ears will lop?

I’m not good at judging that, I’m not that specially fond of lop ear bunnies even though I have owned two.

There are a few on the forum that know how to see that ☺️

By the crown I don’t beleive the ears will lop.
Since lionheads and holland lips are both dwarf breeds it is likely that you bunny carries the dwarf gene. But you will know by his finished size once he stops growing.
Also your bunny looks very much lionhead - except the ears are very long

By the crown I don’t beleive the ears will lop.
Since lionheads and holland lips are both dwarf breeds it is likely that you bunny carries the dwarf gene. But you will know by his finished size once he stops growing.
Also your bunny looks very much lionhead - except the ears are very long
Awesome, thanks! Though I think lops are adorable, I kinda hope Hendrix's ears don't lop because I think they look super cute the way they are now. I thought the same thing about his appearance - I guess it's possible that the pet store guy made a mistake and he's pure lionhead? The other 5 bunnies in his litter didn't have the lionhead gene, though.

Hi, with mixed breeds there's no guarantee if his ears will lop, sometimes they lop around 3 months or even later, 5 month. Mixes sometimes have one ear up one down or helicopter ears, sometimes they'd drop even later. As said above you will see when he's fully grown.

He looks like a lionhead at the moment and I agree that his ears are a bit longer but at the moment I can't see any sign that they are going to lop.

Lionheads are also a compact breed so he won't be much bigger I believe, only if his parents were also mixed it is quite possible. I wouldn't believe much what petstore said about parents because why would they say something what could potentially lower the price. Also they might be never seen parents so they usually just give general description based on observation of the litter.

In both cases, with lop or straight ears I don't believe you will love him less or more because of his ears, personality is much more important in my opinion. I have lionhead and lop/mini lop mixes, as babies they sometimes have more lionhead's in them like mane and by 5 months ears lopped and their mane is gone, sometimes appears again when changing their coat for winter.

Lionheads are very friendly in my experience, I've only met one who was a bit mean others were very very nice.

Judging from your photo his fur might be changing as well, those fussy hair can become more tidy on his back and he can keep his skirt a bit longer. He's a very pretty boy, please post some updates sometimes would be nice to see him growing and changing

Hi, with mixed breeds there's no guarantee if his ears will lop, sometimes they lop around 3 months or even later, 5 month. Mixes sometimes have one ear up one down or helicopter ears, sometimes they'd drop even later. As said above you will see when he's fully grown.

He looks like a lionhead at the moment and I agree that his ears are a bit longer but at the moment I can't see any sign that they are going to lop.

Lionheads are also a compact breed so he won't be much bigger I believe, only if his parents were also mixed it is quite possible. I wouldn't believe much what petstore said about parents because why would they say something what could potentially lower the price. Also they might be never seen parents so they usually just give general description based on observation of the litter.

In both cases, with lop or straight ears I don't believe you will love him less or more because of his ears, personality is much more important in my opinion. I have lionhead and lop/mini lop mixes, as babies they sometimes have more lionhead's in them like mane and by 5 months ears lopped and their mane is gone, sometimes appears again when changing their coat for winter.

Lionheads are very friendly in my experience, I've only met one who was a bit mean others were very very nice.

Judging from your photo his fur might be changing as well, those fussy hair can become more tidy on his back and he can keep his skirt a bit longer. He's a very pretty boy, please post some updates sometimes would be nice to see him growing and changing

I definitely will! He’s becoming a big boy already. Thanks for the advice!

Latest posts

Back