Is it safe for buns to play outside?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abi :)

Reaction score
Hey, I've seen some varied advice on allowing buns to play outside, some of which were very negative and even called it 'abusive' to allow rabbits to play outside in a run or on a harness, my bun used to be an outdoor bun but since we got her she hasn't been outside, she is a very curious bun and I was thinking that she could get some fun and enrichment out of it but I am very confused as to if it is safe, I understand that obviously if the bun is unattended it isn't safe... Any advice and personal experiences are appreciated... <3

Yeah, it’s safe for bunnies to go outside. Apollo loves it. If your rabbit is vaccinated it would be better, so they can’t catch any thing such as myxo or RHD. Some rabbits don’t do well on a harness but on a run, or in a secure garden is absolutely fine as long as your supervising. Another thing would be to make sure that your garden isn’t treated with anything. My avatar is Apollo running around outside, he loves it (and he’s an indoor bunny).

Taking a bunny outside depends on many variables. For me it’s safe taking the bunny outdoors and let them eat the plants on the meadows and yard.

I know there no pesticides, my bunnies are vaccinated, I know most of the dog owners in my area and often go out to open spaces so I can keep a better eye on my bunny and the surroundings. I’m also always close often just one arm reach away from my bunnies. If we are out where people are and not in my own yard. The one I let go out with harness won’t start running when he see a dog and not easily startled which make it easier for me to handle him. The one that get startled will only get outdoors in a run or have harness in the yard.

I know my bunnies won’t be 100% safe in my yard because it’s quite common to have dogs off leash in my neighborhood.

I also heard my dad once tell me he had his dachshund grabed by an eagle but he was lucky it dropped his dog and he could catch her. It happened near the lake but we don’t have so big eagles here now, they have moved away. But I have quite a few birds that could easy take a bunny and have foxes in my area.

The bears are in the forest never truly seen one only stumbled upon one old nest, just hope I won’t jinx myself. My goal is to see a beaver they are so hard to catch even though they live in the lake, I’ve already seen wild wolves and foxes 🤣

So yourself need to decide what’s safe and how much you can keep an eye on your girl. Will she feel safe in a harness, do you know if the plants are not toxic, what animals to look out and if your bunny have all the shots and many more things (ticks, fleas and so on).

My bunnies enjoy going outdoors and I also have outdoor bunnies. They love playing in the dirt and will often binky when they get to go out. So I’m not against taking the bunnies out ☺

Attachments

• 563A6E7D-36C5-4624-B9C8-0F552A269874.jpeg
    563A6E7D-36C5-4624-B9C8-0F552A269874.jpeg
    413.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 9E22FF09-6361-4BA8-8BD5-EAD609DF00C5.jpeg
    9E22FF09-6361-4BA8-8BD5-EAD609DF00C5.jpeg
    337.1 KB · Views: 8
I'm a huge advocate for a little outside time. Mine are house bunnies and I don't always have time to get them out, but they LOVE it when we do. For a run, I attached to movable dog pens. I typically put the run right under or next to a tree for shade (which is important) and protection from hawks and eagles. I also walk Willa on a harness (cat harness works best for us, she will not tolerate the very cute vest I got her), which is really fun if you have a confident rabbit who enjoys exploring and really trusts you.

Everyone above covered other dangers really well and I don't really have anything add! Have fun!

Attachments

• IMG_2808.jpg
    IMG_2808.jpg
    504.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1671.jpg
    IMG_1671.jpg
    496.3 KB · Views: 10
I live in a condo and my Homeowners Association does spray herbicides and pesticides on our grounds. I've never let my bunnies outside because of this. Is there ever a time when it's safe to let buns out on treated lawns? Like a week or a month after the lawn has been treated?

Bunster totally adores being outside. I take her into the middle of our field and do school or whatever while she runs around. It's okay for rabbits to be outside. You would need to watch her, like you said. Keep an eye out for hawks though. We have chickens so hawks really love circling our house and driving me crazy ;). As far as i'm concerned, @Butterscotch I wouldn't let my rabbit go onto a treated area unless it had been a while. I'm not totally sure when to let a rabbit go outside after it gets treated. Maybe there is a park near you where they don't spray? Maybe due to Covid 19 you can't go to parks though. Our parks don't spray. You can look around at it too to see if its treated. If all the dandelions and weeds are dead, they probably spray.

I live in a condo and my Homeowners Association does spray herbicides and pesticides on our grounds. I've never let my bunnies outside because of this. Is there ever a time when it's safe to let buns out on treated lawns? Like a week or a month after the lawn has been treated?
It doesn't have to be on grass. They can be outdoors on hardscape as well. Not as likely to get mites, fleas, ticks, etc on hardscape.

Attachments

• 100_8259 lo res.jpg
    100_8259 lo res.jpg
    580.1 KB · Views: 7
Petunia loves been outside-this is where she binkies and does bunny 500s the most! Just make sure grass isn’t fertilized and the top is covered from the hawks!

Attachments

• 777D5BEA-0DA8-4A41-9DC3-9A494222BCB7.jpeg
    777D5BEA-0DA8-4A41-9DC3-9A494222BCB7.jpeg
    604 KB · Views: 4
UK and other countries have different dangers than the multitude of parasites and predators that are waiting to latch onto a mammilian pet; i.e. your defenseless bun.

Our guys are outside in a stroller, or in ex-pens on the concrete porchway (like BlueEyes noted) with a rug underneath and hiding k/cab should a red-tailed hawk be observed. I stay with them all the time. I most enjoy taking the buns for a walk around the neighborhood in a stroller caddy and listening to comments from others.

RHD2, Roundworm if you have raccoons in your area, mites, ticks, fleas, flies (maggots), bot flies, mosquitos, e. cuniculi spores picked up in the grass, off-leash and vagrant dogs, Raptors .... you take a chance with all these to inflict disease or death on your family member.

I sit outdoors with our crew always supervising and making sure they are protected. Fresh air time while they are held in my arms (baby hold) or seated in a caddy while I rake leaves gives them sun and gentle breezes while I'm close by. During my time at the wildlife center I'd be called out to capture an e.c. inflicted cottontail.

The 12-14 inch long tapeworm photo ( expelled in April after blood & bone-shaped opaque segments were seen; she nibbled grass in November in her wheelcart ) is a reminder that our grass is not 100% safe. HIgh volume of wildlife predators. Also, the chemicals neighbors use to keep the lawns weed-free. During my years at the shelter, we saw all sorts of parasites. We had foxes that'd walk up the street like a mail carrier, or park hidden in the culvert waiting for an opportunity.

I think it was this forum ages ago where someone mentioned the black bear that climbed over the fence and smashed apart the cages killing her hutch-enclosed bun/s. You gotta know the type and amount of predators and dangers to ensure your loved one stays safe.

Our 12 and 13 1/2 y.o. buns are on my lap - or in a caddy - for fresh air and outdoor time!! - Hermelin, good point about toxic plants, too.

Thank you all for your replies they have been so helpful, for the time being I have decided not to take my bun to the garden but I am definitely going to in the future! Thanks! <3

That's great, I'm sure you're bun will love it. My buns adore their outside time. I'd recommend some fly spray or pestavert to spray on his/her coat just to minimise the chances of any host pests :)

Enjoy!

That's great, I'm sure you're bun will love it. My buns adore their outside time. I'd recommend some fly spray or pestavert to spray on his/her coat just to minimise the chances of any host pests :)

Enjoy!
Thanks for that recommendation, do you find that spray on amazon or do I need to visit a pet store?

From nibbling grass in our front yard in her wheelcart.

Attachments

• TapewormFromKarlaPhoto2BR.jpg
    TapewormFromKarlaPhoto2BR.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 8
  • TapewormFromKarlaPhoto2RSSharpen.jpg
    TapewormFromKarlaPhoto2RSSharpen.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 8
  • TapewormPhotoCloserImageRS.jpg
    TapewormPhotoCloserImageRS.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 6
Watch out for neighbourhood cats and large birds of prey.
As long as they're 100% supervised they should be fine.

Latest posts

Back