Is it possible to have too much salad?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Can a bunny have too much salad?

• No, you cannot get fat from salad. Eat as much as you like.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes. Even salad has a limit. Everything in moderation, buns.

Votes: 6 100.0%

• Total voters

mrsbunnyw

Reaction score
Our hoomins let us have salad leaves sometimes (not lettuce) and we think they are the bestest. However hoomins say we can't have too much as we will get fat bunnies. But hoomins eat salad to lose weight, so we think that if the hoomins are concerned about our weight they should let us have more salad, not less.

What do you think?

My bun gets maybe two cups a day, but sometimes I forget, so she only gets one

But she has an all-you-can-eat hay buffet! However, she enjoys her hay-based pellets a lot more, and that is limited to a scoop in the morning and a scoop in the evening.

Was thinking about salad/greens too. My new bun is very fat she was on min one-large-apple-a-day diet and her bowl is quite big, I am going to change it into 1/3 size of it after few days when she is more comfortable in her new home, also she won't get apples and carrots at all for the next couple weeks I think, well maybe once a week just very little. She came with full bag of her food I've never seen this brand before, I am going to use it for now, just going to cut portions give maybe 3 times a day but smaller amount, it smells sweetly I would say so I am going to google now.
I usually give them a bit less than one cup of mixed lettuce (no iceberg) or rocket leaves, or half and half, 1/3 or 2/3 of celery stick, carrot tops when I have them, cauliflower or broccoli leaves and stems or broccoli florets, so probably one cup or less salads/rocket and celery/broccoli so maybe per day it's about 1 cup and a half.
My Smokey ate a lot of pellets when she was nervous and got very fat too, I just saw she's uncomfortable with her belly but can't stop eating so I gave her also much smaller bowl and giving smaller portions more often, but giving more fresh hay every night so hopefully she will eat more hay. She was like if she has pellets in her bowl she must finish them, not leaving for later. It was probably because of stress. Now much better. I would like her to exercise more, have to do some research on that too. Leo is very different he doesn't eat a lot and very active, very hard-working rabbit.

Latest posts

Back