Is it okay to feed my does black oil sunflower seeds made for birds?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LopsAreGreat

Reaction score
All I can find out there is BOSS made for birds. Is this okay to use? If not, please give me a brand that is good to use. My two does are possibly pregnant and I want to give them the best nutrition possible. Thank you all!!

Yes. It's okay and many breeders do it. Moreso for show rabbits than pregnant does, it does have energy that can be good for the does but the oils in it are good for their coats. Unlike regular sunflower seeds (and most seeds) these have thin, easily digestible oily shells so they are fine for rabbits - these are the ONLY type of seed I would give to a rabbit. I've fed the rabbits pretty much any brand (I feed wild birds with it as well so I go through it quickly), just make sure if you are getting ones meant for wild birds they do NOT have "added vitamins" or such - sometimes the more expensive bird feeding ones do. They also work well as treats because rabbits love them.

Yes. It's okay and many breeders do it. Moreso for show rabbits than pregnant does, it does have energy that can be good for the does but the oils in it are good for their coats. Unlike regular sunflower seeds (and most seeds) these have thin, easily digestible oily shells so they are fine for rabbits - these are the ONLY type of seed I would give to a rabbit. I've fed the rabbits pretty much any brand (I feed wild birds with it as well so I go through it quickly), just make sure if you are getting ones meant for wild birds they do NOT have "added vitamins" or such - sometimes the more expensive bird feeding ones do. They also work well as treats because rabbits love them.
Thank you!

I feed the black sunflower seed kernels as a small treat with their pellets each daybut it's worth remembering that they are oily and while good for the coat and good in Winter, don't give a lot of them as they may contribute to overweight,especially in lazy rabbits whose idea of exercise is to walk from their bed to the food bowl!

Latest posts

Back