Is it okay that my bonded rabbits seem to enjoy wrestling for treats?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serabeth

Reaction score
I tried to google this, and it seems like it's not normal behavior in a bonded pair from what I've read. Two of my bunnies have been bonded for about 4 months now. They mostly have to stay in their pen for now, since the one rabbit still pees absolutely everywhere (even on non-absorbent surfaces) and he still constantly leaves his poop all over the house. (We let them out for exercise/play, obviously, but other than that they are mostly in their pen.) Anyways, I noticed whenever I bring them a treat like apples or kale or other fruits, they really seem to enjoy wrestling for it lol. It actually looks hilarious; I love watching them go at it. They will continuously climb on each other and pull the food directly out of each others' mouth back and forth. This is even if I give them multiple treats at once, so there would be plenty for them to each chew on their own treat separately. In fact, if I give one of them a treat and then go to give the other a treat, the first rabbit will drop their treat and go to take the second rabbit's treat.

It seems to be all in good fun, and I believe they actually enjoy it as a sort of play. The other day when I was laying on my bed and letting them run around seemed to confirm this. One of the rabbits jumped up on the bed and I thought he wanted to cuddle, but instead he jumped over me, hopped inside a box, pulled out a treat stick, and then hopped back down next to his bond mate and proceeded to wrestle with her over it. If he wanted the treat all to himself, he could've just stayed on the bed and eaten it, right? It seems to me like he wanted to share with her.

I just wanted to see if this was normal, or anyone else has seen this in their bonded rabbits. There's absolutely no biting at all or thumping or other behavior which would lead me to believe they are angry or in any sort of distress.

I take it that they're both fixed already? :) Are they doing like some sort of lady and the tramp style when getting food from the other? My buns do this even if I give them one treat each, I think one has a better piece than the other 😆

In fact, if I give one of them a treat and then go to give the other a treat, the first rabbit will drop their treat and go to take the second rabbit's treat.
This! my buns do this too! 😆

Aww that's adorable but I dont have any advice cause I just started bonding my buns 😅

My two girls are constantly stealing their treats away from the other. They too will drop the treat I just gave them and then go steal the one I just gave the other. This will go back and forth until the treat is reduced to crumbs and they will both push the others head away trying to nibble up the crumbs. Sometimes there will be growling involved; but, I think it is more out of frustration than fighting, as they never fight for anything.
It is funny to watch them chasing each other for one treat while there is one treat basically laying there un-eaten. It's like one always thinks the other is getting something better.
I have not seen the wrestling though...would love to see that. It sounds like they are playing and taking it one step further than mine do. If you can get that on video, that would be great to see. 😁
I do think it is pretty typical behavior to steal treats/food from one another, so I wouldn't worry unless this turns to actual fighting.

My 2 buns do a similar thing, whether its a treat, toy or dinner. they chase each other round sometimes prior to me putting it down and then when i give them both a treat each Holly will take it and coal will just chase after her and steal hers instead. it tends to be more him that does the initial stealing but sometimes it goes the other way. but watching them eat dinner together is hilarious as the one will eat some and move the bowl closer to them and then the other does the same so the bowl is just constantly on the move.
I believe there is on fighting with them though as no thumping and no aggression or biting.

Thanks everyone! I feel better now lol. I think some of the "wrestling" is partially because I am giving them treats mostly when they're in their pen. I have so much crap in there lol, between tunnels, a sandbox, hidey houses, etc. that they are often receiving the treat in a smaller area. If I give them treats when they're out running around, it's mostly just pressing their foreheads against each other and stealing food out of each others mouths lol. I really do think they're just having fun, though. It's still very silly to watch. I'll try to get a video or something if I remember, but for some reason, all of my pets seem to stop doing whatever cute thing they're doing and just stare at me when I pull my phone out and point it at them XD.

I'll try to get a video or something if I remember, but for some reason, all of my pets seem to stop doing whatever cute thing they're doing and just stare at me when I pull my phone out and point it at them XD.
Absolutely true. My duo does it too. It is as if they know that we want to get them in shot but they absolutely refuse to share their cuteness over the internet.

They will continuously climb on each other and pull the food directly out of each others' mouth back and forth. This is even if I give them multiple treats at once, so there would be plenty for them to each chew on their own treat separately. In fact, if I give one of them a treat and then go to give the other a treat, the first rabbit will drop their treat and go to take the second rabbit's treat.

My bonded rabbit pair do this. It's primarily the dominant buck stealing the doe's treats. It's like he only wants her treat; he'll ignore the second treat and only eat the one the doe chooses, which usually means stealing it out from under her or from her mouth!

Latest posts

Back