Is it ok do buy a baby rabbit, because there aren’t any available for adoption locally?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry that I didn't read all of this tread:

Backxyard breeders? Of course! There wouldn't be an< domestic<ted rabbits without back

OOPS, Ignore previous post, got mixed up somehow, this is what is was meant to say:

Sorry that I didn't read all of this tread, and also if I get somewhat carried away..:

Backyard breeders? Of course! There wouldn't be any domesticted rabbits without backyard breeding. That narrativ that this is bad is like voting for total extinction because it would end all bad things some people enjoy to imagine.

Breeding rabbits is, and always was, mostly a backyard thing, when it comes to diversity, if you only consider commercial meat production or commercial pet shop supply reasonable you got something wrong.I definitly would trust a dedicated hobby breeder more than a shelter or pet shop.

That comparision shelter-breeder is picking the best shelters (not one of the PETA kill shelters etc.) to the worst of breeders.

it's wrong that you can't tell character or sex at a young age, I definitly can tell characters from an age 3-4 weeks up, like, from the current litter I know 2 are ok to give away, the other two I will not, a skittish preposition is early to notice, and I've some months to evaluate.
Compared to shelters, which rabbits end there? Mostly those of owners who didn't know what rabbits are, but sure also those which owners could not cope with - those with that attitude go to freezer camp here. Why would shelters be a collection of perfect pets, in a spieces where quite unpleasant characters can pop up?

But sure, it depends on what shelters offer. Bonded pairs are great, and getting adult rabits with known characters ia a good thing. Definitly a good choice for beginners. If there is a vet deal or so, great. If there is ongoing support, that definitly would be a good reason to get a rabbit from a shelter.

But knowing a pet rabbit breeder in my street, and knowing about chatracter diversity in my own herd, I definitly say that getting a rabbit from a good breeder is a good option too. I did refuse potential buyers when I thought that my rabbits are not what they were looking for, like when they were looking for a rabbit for a 5 yo girl - nope

Last edited:
Well this is my plan… I have a four year old Holland lop who is spayed and I wanted to get a boy obviously keep him in his own little play area until he’s neutered because he’s only eight weeks old. Don’t boys and girls get along the best? Or girl and girl?My adult bunny is free roam. She has her own litter box and food area. Give the baby his own litter box in the play area. Where she is not allowed. the adult female will be able to see him through the wall of the play area. I can’t even try to supervise them interacting for a short period? Even before he is neutered?
It sounds like you've thought about it a lot and planned well. I'm not going to speak to shelter vs breeder, you've gotten a lot about that already. So with bringing an 8 wk old male home ... Male/female bonds do seem to work the best. Female/female work well too, but since you've got your boy picked out let's go with that. I know people will tell you. To not put them together until he is neutered, but being 8 weeks old he will not have the hormones yet to be obnoxious. If it were me, I would introduce them now, but not keep them together. They can be together, supervised and then when he starts to act like a teen then separate them. Even then supervised visits are ok! The baby will LOVE having her around to snuggle with. People will say the baby bond is not real and is easily broken, but he will still benefit from having her around. 8 weeks is still so young. Once he is recovered from his surgery, you can start the "bonding" process you've chosen. I just see no reason to keep a baby away unless she is aggressive toward him.

Sorry that I didn't read all of this tread, and also if I get somewhat carried away..:
Backyard breeders? Of course! There wouldn't be any domesticted rabbits without backyard breeding. That narrativ that this is bad is like voting for total extinction because it would end all bad things some people enjoy to imagine.
definitly would trust a dedicated hobby breeder more than a shelter or pet shop.

Haha. Agreed that home breeders are largely responsible for domesticating rabbits. Of course there are good and dedicated hobby breeders that breed "in their backyard." That doesn't define them as "backyard breeders." The term is a phrase that connotes irresponsible breeding.

The only analogy I can think of is the term "homeschooling." By definition (at least in my state) homeschooling is not defined as being educated in the confines of one's home. If it did, that would include public virtual school or private, paid virtual school. It is, rather, defined as a parent being responsible for and teaching the bulk of the courses to their child (whether they do it at home or at a library or anywhere else). In other words, just as "homeschooling" doesn't include everyone who is being educated "at home," neither does "backyard breeder" include everyone who breeds in their "backyard."

Latest posts

Back