Is it normal?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LetaRayn

Reaction score
Hello guys

How much the rabbit should poop to become healthy and did have specific time to do it?

Because when I brought my seven months old before 5 months he pooped alot and all the time in the house and his litter box but he stoped pooing in the house and now he stoped doing it in the litter box but pooped only in night when I get him out in the yard but not much as before

He is not neutered yet and he is completely healthy, there is no gas or any sign of pain or behavior and the shape of the poop. But he doesn't eat grass much only when I forced him and eat very little in spite of my attempts to make him eating it from tracks and new ways and the different kinds of grass but he hate grass with passion.

Is it normal to poop in night and in the yard only? I try to count the poop and it almost one seventy or more

Hello guys

How much the rabbit should poop to become healthy and did have specific time to do it?

Because when I brought my seven months old before 5 months he pooped alot and all the time in the house and his litter box but he stoped pooing in the house and now he stoped doing it in the litter box but pooped only in night when I get him out in the yard but not much as before

He is not neutered yet and he is completely healthy, there is no gas or any sign of pain or behavior and the shape of the poop. But he doesn't eat grass much only when I forced him and eat very little in spite of my attempts to make him eating it from tracks and new ways and the different kinds of grass but he hate grass with passion.

Is it normal to poop in night and in the yard only? I try to count the poop and it almost one seventy or more

Nooooo! That is very much not normal. I think bunnies poop like 500 poops a day. A bunny not pooping is a very very bad sign. I’m sorry but you need to get him to a bunny savvy vet right away. At the very minimum, call one and tell them and see what they say.

Nooooo! That is very much not normal. I think bunnies poop like 500 poops a day. A bunny not pooping is a very very bad sign. I’m sorry but you need to get him to a bunny savvy vet right away. At the very minimum, call one and tell them and see what they say.

He is poop but not much and poop almost only in night outside the house
And that the problem There is no vet near me knows anything about rabbits :(

How does the poop look like, maybe his stomach have slowed down, which makes the amount decrease. Maybe your bunny doesn’t get enough fiber in his diet, which causes him to not poop as much.

How does the poop look like, maybe his stomach have slowed down, which makes the amount decrease. Maybe your bunny doesn’t get enough fiber in his diet, which causes him to not poop as much.

His poop shape is normal but the size sometimes normal and others is small and you are right he does not eat much grass but only very little

Last edited:
How much pellets do you give him? Small poops mean he's not getting enough fiber in his diet, which translates to needing to eat more hay/grass. You need to find a way to get him to eat more of that.

How much pellets do you give him? Small poops mean he's not getting enough fiber in his diet, which translates to needing to eat more hay/grass. You need to find a way to get him to eat more of that.

I don't give him any pellets because where I live there is non of any kind of pets stores or dry food, I give him only safe greens and fruits and I'm working on a new way to make him eat grass and it's actually working but I only start yesterday :)

Can you post a pic of his daily food portion so we can help you better?

And maybe a pic of his daily poo as well? I've got feeling that his poo is fine if it's 170 berries for 24 hours maybe he just holds them for the time he can go out maybe he's just an extremely well behaved rabbit and doesn't want to make mess indoor :))

Can you post a pic of his daily food portion so we can help you better?

PicsArt_09-27-03.40.47.jpg

That what I gave him, fruit for the day but I increasing the amount of basil to double or more until he satisfied because it's the main food for him also I gave him parsley from time to time and trying to motivate him to eat more grass
Last night when I tracked him to eat more grass in his night meal his poop increased about fifty more one this morning and Iam still counting :)

Basil and parsley are great you can give him more and my rabbits eat full stems not only leaves.
I only give banana or plum occasionally maybe once a week honestly they are not getting bananas too often I usually give them a piece of carrot or apple instead but it's fine. Do you feel your rabbit has enough weight or he's thin or overweight? I understand you don't have hay where you live I know some people in this forum don't use hay but fresh grasses maybe they will see your thread and can advise you better

Basil and parsley are great you can give him more and my rabbits eat full stems not only leaves.
I only give banana or plum occasionally maybe once a week honestly they are not getting bananas too often I usually give them a piece of carrot or apple instead but it's fine. Do you feel your rabbit has enough weight or he's thin or overweight? I understand you don't have hay where you live I know some people in this forum don't use hay but fresh grasses maybe they will see your thread and can advise you better

Yes, he is love Basil very much so I gave him free amount of it, parsley I give him twice a week
My boy addicted to fruit especially bananas but I trying to give him a little because his weight is a little overweight and I don't want him to have problems because of it

My rabbits also love coriander (cilantro) and carrot tops and green cabbage leaves, kale but I am not sure if you have kale where you live,

I'd give this size banana only once a week and it is banana OR plum, as too much sugar. One fruit portion once or twice a week, that's enough. I don't think parsley should be limited is there any particular reason for that? My rabbits are only getting this size of greens once a day (that's a must, but if I can I give them more green herbs they love them, mint, sage, thyme, chamomile stems) but they are getting unlimited hay. Which is a source of fibre and in your case it's grass. I don't know how to get 19% of fibre using fresh grass maybe it has to be unlimited as well. And it is important what kind of grass you grow your own or where are you getting it from. I know oaten wheaten, meadow, timothy grasses are good, and lucerne(alfalfa) and clover are not very good for an adult as too much calcium and protein

Last edited:
My rabbits also love coriander (cilantro) and carrot tops and green cabbage leaves, kale but I am not sure if you have kale where you live,

My rabbit is very picky in his food he doesn't like carrot or mint. cabbage leaves and kale I didn't try to gave him before because his stomach is very sensitive and alot of foods cause him gas
about the presley I read it's full of Calcium and his pee became white when I gave him dayly portion so I became careful about giving him.

Iam working on make him eat more grass and in the same time gave him less fruits and I hope I will succeed

I'd give this size banana only once a week and it is banana OR plum, as too much sugar. One fruit portion once or twice a week, that's enough. I don't think parsley should be limited is there any particular reason for that? My rabbits are only getting this size of greens once a day (that's a must, but if I can I give them more green herbs they love them, mint, sage, thyme, chamomile stems) but they are getting unlimited hay. Which is a source of fibre and in your case it's grass. I don't know how to get 19% of fibre using fresh grass maybe it has to be unlimited as well. And it is important what kind of grass you grow your own or where are you getting it from. I know oaten wheaten, meadow, timothy grasses are good, and lucerne(alfalfa) and clover are not very good for an adult as too much calcium and protein

Iam working on make him eat more grass and make it his main and unlimited food, most of grasses types you mentioned are not available so I give him sweet grass instead I cut the clover when I brought him from his pervious owner which was what was he only eat.

Latest posts

Back