Is it ear mites?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabriela_guerra

Reaction score
I saw my bunny scartching his ear more than usual so i thought it coul be ear mites. I dropped a fue drops of baby oil in each of his ears to prevent further damage. The day after i went to check his ears and he has a bit of cruisting just in outer ear, my question is couls it be just because he scratched too much after i poured the oil since he has no crust in the inner ear? Or is it ear mites?

It could be fur mites. Have you checked the rest of his body to see if there was any other crusts or bald spots? They're kind of hard to spot sometimes. My bunny had them when I got her and she had missing fur and crusts on her back and on one of her ears as well. I'd suggest taking him to the vet so you can be sure of what it is and get proper treatment for him! Also be careful of over-the-counter medecines as they can be very harmful to rabbits. Good luck and I hope he gets better very soon!

I thought my bunny had them because he scratched the inside of his ear, then shook his head.
But my rabbits usually scratch their ears, but, NOT the inside. I was worried but I looked it up and found some good articles. The one that explains it best is here (graphic pictures)
http://medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/earmite/Psoroptes.htm

It explains what ear mites are and the treatment, and shows what healthy rabbit ears should look like. If you can't see into your bunnies ear, you can hold a flashlight down to see the inside of them.

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1398834461.457253.jpg

Im
Sorry the picture is really bad he wouldn't stop moving. I am going to the vet tomorrow hopefully they will tell me what it is

Latest posts

Back