Is it a good idea to take a rabbit for walks?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shinitai

Reaction score
For the past three weeks or so I've been reading nonstop about rabbit care, and I'd like to think that I've learned quite a bit, but one thing I can't seem to find a general consensus on is taking bunnies out for walks. From what I've seen on my small college campus, the few pet bunnies around are taken outside most days just to walk around at their own leisure and nibble on some grass.

I'm aware that putting a rabbit on a leash and walking it around like one would do with a dog would usually not work out, but I'm wondering if it's possible to take one in a stroller to a place (such as a park) to run around? Would it be beneficial to the bunny at all to take it in a stroller, maybe with a litter box and a water bottle and some hay, to a park or another place? I was thinking, should I find myself with a bunny of my own one day, to take it out for walks in a stroller to a playground I went to a lot as a child (there is a children's playground with wood chips as well as a pond with a trail around it that's about 3/10 of a mile around). The walk to the park from my home is about two miles.

Would this be a good idea? Do you think this would be an enjoyable experience for the bunny, walking to the park in a stroller and letting it play in the park? If not, are there any other alternatives, or should I just stick with the backyard?

That will depend on the personality of the bunny you get. But if your desire is to take bunny out to show him off (understandable), then a stroller is a good option. Again, though, you'd have to see how your individual rabbit does with the stroller. I've used a stroller for my rabbits in the past. I think it is a much safer option than a leash/harness. Some rabbits seem to enjoy it as well.

As for the backyard, that could also be an option but there are pros and cons of that as well. The pro would be that the rabbit would gradually get used to the same space which means less stress and more enjoyment for the rabbit. The cons include mites, ticks, fleas, pesticides, birds of prey, etc. I've explained more of these pros and cons at the following page of my site:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bringing-outside.html

That will depend on the personality of the bunny you get. But if your desire is to take bunny out to show him off (understandable), then a stroller is a good option. Again, though, you'd have to see how your individual rabbit does with the stroller. I've used a stroller for my rabbits in the past. I think it is a much safer option than a leash/harness. Some rabbits seem to enjoy it as well.

As for the backyard, that could also be an option but there are pros and cons of that as well. The pro would be that the rabbit would gradually get used to the same space which means less stress and more enjoyment for the rabbit. The cons include mites, ticks, fleas, pesticides, birds of prey, etc. I've explained more of these pros and cons at the following page of my site:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bringing-outside.html

Thanks for the feedback - do you think it would be beneficial to take a bunny out in a stroller not to show it off, but just for the enjoyment of the rabbit? Are there any signs to look for (body language, etc) to indicate whether or not the rabbit is happy in the stroller?

Thanks for the feedback - do you think it would be beneficial to take a bunny out in a stroller not to show it off, but just for the enjoyment of the rabbit? Are there any signs to look for (body language, etc) to indicate whether or not the rabbit is happy in the stroller?
Doesn't sound very enjoyable for the rabbit. Rabbits don't generally like new places and experiences like dogs do. If they sort of keep to themselves with their head drawn in between their shoulders they are usually scared. If they have their ears forward, neck extended, looking all over the place, they are probably curious.

I think you have to be aware of one thing above all when you think about taking a rabbit out and letting it have free exercise outside.The act is,regardless of any other considerations,your rabbit can not only run a lot faster than you can,is potentially easily startled and paniicked,and is certainly very vulnerable to attacks by dogs,crows,birds of prey etc- it's aprey species and is not a wild rabbit with finely tuned survival instincts and experience of being out in the open. How would you feel if the animal got away from you and was either attacked and killed or injured,or simply ran for its life and disappeared? If you do take it out,observe the precautions mentioned by others and do not relax too much, because that's when accidents happen.It may seemlike a good idea,but needds to be approached with caution.

I worry about the RHD, since my neighborhood is lousy with outside bunnies. Also, they've always acted very nervous outside, and I think they prefer they safety of the house, due to the prey animal thing mentioned.

That being said, I do have an adorable pic from a while ago I can't help but share...

Lucas Leash.jpg

No. Very bad idea. There is no benefit to bunnies to harnesses or strollers. Most hate being taken out of their familiar environment and some get so stressed they get seriously ill. They should have access to lots of space 24/7 so they can exercise whenever they want. Harnesses are dangerous. Strollers are completely pointless.

Latest posts

Back