Is Ice Safe For Rabbits To Eat?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. During the summer good treats are actually ice cubes with small bits of fruit in them. The rabbit will lick them, not really bite into them.

No. Some bunnies even get belly ache if the greens are fridge temperature rather than room temperature. There is no benefit and only risk of giving anything frozen to bunnies. It doesn't cool them down.

I would have to agree with Diane R about this.It's fine to put a bottle of frozen water(ice!) in the house ,cage or whatever, when it's very hot,and they will lie close to it and cool down,but I would be very wary of giving them ice directly,for the same reasons that Diane mentions.The problem is that rabbits all have potentially sensitive digestive systems,some much more than others.You can't generalize too much of course,because they are all individuals,but ingesting frozen water or juice directly really is asking for trouble.They may well like it if they get the taste for it,but that doesn't mean to say that it's good for them.You used to read in rabbit care books and leaflets,that they should never have damp or wet greens,as this could cause digestive upsets,and i put this to a vet friend some time ago for his opinion.He pointed out that wild rabbits will eat wet greens after rainfall,and that there was confusion between wet and chilled.If you put greens in the fridge and then feed while still frosty,this is,again ,a risk factor in causing diarrhoea or other irregularities..

I would have to agree with Diane R about this.It's fine to put a bottle of frozen water(ice!) in the house ,cage or whatever, when it's very hot,and they will lie close to it and cool down,but I would be very wary of giving them ice directly,for the same reasons that Diane mentions.The problem is that rabbits all have potentially sensitive digestive systems,some much more than others.You can't generalize too much of course,because they are all individuals,but ingesting frozen water or juice directly really is asking for trouble.They may well like it if they get the taste for it,but that doesn't mean to say that it's good for them.You used to read in rabbit care books and leaflets,that they should never have damp or wet greens,as this could cause digestive upsets,and i put this to a vet friend some time ago for his opinion.He pointed out that wild rabbits will eat wet greens after rainfall,and that there was confusion between wet and chilled.If you put greens in the fridge and then feed while still frosty,this is,again ,a risk factor in causing diarrhoea or other irregularities..
Jeez I didnt know bunnies are so sensitive

Sir Lawrence loves ice! He mainly just likes pushing it around the kitchen with his nose, but he'll occasionally try and crunch it! Being part Lionhead, he likes all things cool, which is why his room has its own window unit air conditioner, so I can keep it cooler for him!

Lucas, on the other hand, can't be bothered with ice. He's my little grump! :3

Latest posts

Back