Is honey safe?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaspers momma

Reaction score
I purchased a hide for Jasper awhile ago. He nibbled and chews it occasionally. I read ingredients and it is heavy cardboard like material with honey and hay.
Can I spread thin layer of honey on his chew toys that he turns his nose up at?

Honey is fructose, which is sugar. There are rabbit treats out there that have honey ,granulated sugar or molasses. Those are a few types of sweeteners. Why the do that is to attract the rabbit, rabbits love sweet stuff. What you can try with his toys, stick them in his food bag or you can purchase or make your own toys with using fruit juice that has no sugar added to flavor and color toys.

What type of toys does your rabbit have?

Honey is fructose, which is sugar. There are rabbit treats out there that have honey ,granulated sugar or molasses. Those are a few types of sweeteners. Why the do that is to attract the rabbit, rabbits love sweet stuff. What you can try with his toys, stick them in his food bag or you can purchase or make your own toys with using fruit juice that has no sugar added to flavor and color toys.

What type of toys does your rabbit have?
Colored wood hanging blocks. Toilet paper rolls filled with hay.

Most of my rabbits ignored chew blocks. Why put honey on them? If bunny isn't interested in the blocks, that's fine.

I've found most rabbits are more interested in exploring and investigating. Cardboard boxes with doors cutout, tunnels, different configurations of places to hide in or climb on.

Attachments

• boxes fun orange border lower res.jpg
    boxes fun orange border lower res.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 7
If you bunny doesn't like wood blocks, you could always find loofah and put treats in it. Some bunny are just happy with playing with toilet paper rolls.

I’ll second the cardboard boxes! My boy has turned his nose up at every chew thing I have bought him (except for apple branches which he will chew on till the bark has gone) but Whenever we find him a new cardboard box to conquer it’s like all his Christmas’ have come at once

I know you asked about the honey thing but If you are after some other ideas:
our boy goes completely nuts over a long strip of wrapping paper pegged to one of his play pen Walls.

He also loves a large spare litter tray filled with shredded paper, I sprinkle some of his pellets and treats on the bottom (under the paper) and he will dig for treasure for ages.

We bought a box of grass seeds and planted heaps of them in another spare litter tray, unfortunately grass upsets his tummy and he was never allowed to have access to the finished tray of grass

He was starting to act a little bored and destructive for while but since we have been clicker training him each day he seems more content to play with his own stuff instead of chewing on our things

Unfortunately tv button remotes, shoes and handbags are still on top of his absolute favourites

7F5C47CA-4D42-4751-9C60-9BDA8397986F.png FCD7373F-114C-47B0-97AB-EB51F5EAC5CD.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back