Is her leg okay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haru the Lionhead

Reaction score
Hello guys, I’ve been observing haru all the time, and I noticed that when she walks and jumps into her litter box she isn’t using her right leg, I don’t know if this is new or I’m just noticing it now because her fur isn’t covering her legs anymore, I thought that it might be fractured or something, but she’s using it to scratch herself, she’s moving it while grooming herself, she stands up, and she’s doing zoomies, she’s also eating and pooping well, if there’s something wrong with her leg, would she be able to do all of that? and i don’t think that it’s okay for her to do zoomies after the surgery, how should I stop her? she does it inside the cage, and I don’t think that making it smaller would stop her, because before the surgery she used to do it inside her small litter box. i'm taking her to the vet today, i just wanted to check

Hi, she had her surgery just a couple days ago you shouldn't let her go zoomies. It's not okay and can lead to serious complications. It is your responsibility you need to limit her space so she can't exercise for at least one or two weeks. Place her into a small cage and remove all shelves or platforms so she can't jump on them, if she has high sided toilet you can remove it for now or replace with low-sided box so she could only walk, no jumping for the next weeks.
Take it seriously, it's your rabbit and you are in charge.

Hi, she had her surgery just a couple days ago you shouldn't let her go zoomies. It's not okay and can lead to serious complications. It is your responsibility you need to limit her space so she can't exercise for at least one or two weeks. Place her into a small cage and remove all shelves or platforms so she can't jump on them, if she has high sided toilet you can remove it for now or replace with low-sided box so she could only walk, no jumping for the next weeks.
Take it seriously, it's your rabbit and you are in charge.
I put a low sided toilet, she refuses to go from the low side, she jumps from the higher side, when I rotate it she refuses it and goes back to her bed. She’s in the cage, it’s not very big, there’s a litter box, and a hidie box, so the space is smaller, she keeps jumping, what should I do, do I keep her in the carrier?

Put the litter box so she can enter it through the low side. If she wants to use the litter box, she will enter through the low side.
The most important tip I have for you is to go to a room that your rabbit is not in and read a book, watch a show, do something to take your mind off Haru. I can tell you get very worried about Haru being sick or injured, and it is ok to be cautious, but constantly being extremely worried is unhealthy. You just took your rabbit to the vet for a spay, they wouldn't have spayed her if she was sick because that is dangerous, but they did spay her which means she was in perfect health. Now, she has been spayed and is going to be in a little pain, but that is normal. Rabbits get spayed every single day and are ok. Give Haru some time to heal, and don't stress about her because if you stress about her you are probably stressing her out. I'm not trying to be rude. I really do just want to help you and Haru, but honestly; I don't think there is anything wrong with your rabbit.

Put the litter box so she can enter it through the low side. If she wants to use the litter box, she will enter through the low side.
The most important tip I have for you is to go to a room that your rabbit is not in and read a book, watch a show, do something to take your mind off Haru. I can tell you get very worried about Haru being sick or injured, and it is ok to be cautious, but constantly being extremely worried is unhealthy. You just took your rabbit to the vet for a spay, they wouldn't have spayed her if she was sick because that is dangerous, but they did spay her which means she was in perfect health. Now, she has been spayed and is going to be in a little pain, but that is normal. Rabbits get spayed every single day and are ok. Give Haru some time to heal, and don't stress about her because if you stress about her you are probably stressing her out. I'm not trying to be rude. I really do just want to help you and Haru, but honestly; I don't think there is anything wrong with your rabbit.
About the litter box, it has a lower side, but she ignores it and likes to jump from the higher side. I’m studying now and trying not to go check on her every two seconds. And about the spay.. she wasn’t spayed, her uterus wasn’t there, so I know that her surgery isn’t as bad as if she was spayed. The vet saw her a few hours ago, he redid the stitches from the inside and from the outside, he also put extra stitches just in case. Ahe just woke up, she is eating, pooping and peeing just fine, the only problem is that her ears are cold, the air conditioner is off, there are blankets inside the cage and a thick blanket over the cage, but it looks like it’s not enough. I have one last question.. the day of the surgery and today, as soon as she woke up, there was a sound like she’s chewing on something, it’s not ticking, it’s not like purring but louder, so I don’t think that it’s teeth grinding, the sound is more like chomp chomp, what could it be?

The definition of spay is removing the ovaries.
Technically she can be born without a Uterus though rare.

If I’m correct that should have nothing to do with getting her spayed.

Still keep her in her cage for 2 weeks you want her to recover through whatever procedure she just had.

It is essential that you keep her warm put warm water in a water bottle.
(You want warm not steaming hot).

It sounds like it is teeth grinding which could possibly be if she hasn’t had any pain med recently.

Last edited:
You remind me of myself when I got Snowy fixed, I was so worried that I felt like I was finding something wrong that wasn't truly wrong because I was like hyper focused and panicking. (If that makes sense, just woke up without my coffee so bare with me here lol) but you know your rabbit best! It's nice to see how much you care for Haru but just try your best to take a step back and relax! Haru sounds very happy and healthy:) She just needs time to heal and your love and comfort! You're doing a great job just don't exhaust yourself !🤎

Hey guys, she’s still not using her right leg when she’s moving around, I don’t know if it’s hurting her or not, she’s eating just fine, her poops aren’t perfect yet, but I think it’s because I’m giving her more veggies since she’s not drinking water. I tried to touch it while she was eating, it doesn’t seem to bother her, I only touched her leg, if I touched her foot, even if it doesn’t hurt, she won’t let me. Because the vet shaved her fur, i can kind of see her skin through her fur, and her knee looks a bit red, i couldn’t take a clear photo, will it heal by itself? or do I have to see a vet? I don’t want to take her out and stress her until she’s fully healed, but I’m worried that if I leave her like that it might get worse.

I took a closer look, it’s bald like her neck, she keeps on licking it or itching it I’m not sure. My mom says that maybe she’s itching it alot that’s why the fur isn’t growing back

I mean if it's getting really concerning, I'd take her in to have BOTH checked at once so you don't have to keep bringing her back. Like I said before, you know your bun best!

Latest posts

Back