Is downgrading my rabbits cage a good idea?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Echo_ND

Reaction score
Hello! This is my first time posting here and I’m not too sure how this whole thing works but I hope I’m doing it right. I apologize if this a unnecessary question, I’ve just be slightly paranoid about it . I’ve had my bun echo (a Netherland dwarf) in a hutch since I’ve gotten her. We got a larger two story hutch because she was originally supposed to stay in there at all times. Slowly I’ve convinced my parents to let her roam to the point where she has complete free roam of my room except during school hours. I recently bought a smaller cage (a dog cage) which is 24”x17”x20”. I was planning on switching her to this dog crate since she has chewed the hutch down quite a bit. I’m still unsure about the switch though. Is there a point where it’s considered cruel to keep her in there for a certain amount of time while I’m away? Would she even consider it being a home/safe point like her hutch is with the smaller size?

If she love chewing in the hutch, there’s a chance she will chew the bars of the dog cage.

The dog cage it’s really small, if it’s many hours I would keep her in the hutch that’s bigger.

That size is super, super tiny. That size (24" x 17") is about the same size as my litter box. :confused: It is not even close to the space a rabbit should have.

You'd be better off getting an ex-pen and using that in addition for permanent space (when you are out of your room). Here is an example of how an ex-pen can be used to make a large space if it isn't configured into a square but makes use of an existing wall as part of the barrier. (Note the litter box in the corner for size comparison.)
upload_2019-6-18_9-45-3.png

I'd also suggest reading the info on sizing for rabbit housing at the following thread:
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/2019-cages-add-your-photo.93422/

That size is super, super tiny. That size (24" x 17") is about the same size as my litter box. :confused: It is not even close to the space a rabbit should have.

You'd be better off getting an ex-pen and using that in addition for permanent space (when you are out of your room). Here is an example of how an ex-pen can be used to make a large space if it isn't configured into a square but makes use of an existing wall as part of the barrier. (Note the litter box in the corner for size comparison.)
View attachment 41438

I'd also suggest reading the info on sizing for rabbit housing at the following thread:
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/2019-cages-add-your-photo.93422/
I probably should’ve mentioned I wouldn’t be keeping her in the cage permanently... She will be having complete free roam of my bedroom at all times. sorry for the confusion. :oops:

Last edited:
The size of the cage doesn't matter if the rabbit is free roam. I've had a number of cage set ups for my free roam rabbit that most of the time had no actual cage.

The size of the cage doesn't matter if the rabbit is free roam. I've had a number of cage set ups for my free roam rabbit that most of the time had no actual cage.

Agreed. I was going based on the OP that the rabbit is caged all day (during school). I wondered if it might also be caged at bedtime.

Echo could you clarify? You said rabbit is caged when you're in school. What about bedtime? How many actual hours per day is bunny truly out?

Even if bunny is only confined to cage for 8 hours per day, putting it in a cage that is the size of a litter box would be too small.

Agreed. I was going based on the OP that the rabbit is caged all day (during school). I wondered if it might also be caged at bedtime.

Echo could you clarify? You said rabbit is caged when you're in school. What about bedtime? How many actual hours per day is bunny truly out?

Even if bunny is only confined to cage for 8 hours per day, putting it in a cage that is the size of a litter box would be too small.
She’s never up aside from school hours. I’m on summer break currently so right now she’s out 24/7. Come summer break being over and her having a new setup, there a extremely high chance she won’t have to be in the cage. :)

Latest posts

Back