Is Chewing plastic bad for bunnys?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnylovin1093

Reaction score
So recently my rabbit Bambi has developed a habit of chewing off bits of plastic on the side of his litter tray. He may be eating miniscule bits. Is plastic ok for buns to chew?

I don't think it's that great for them to eat, but during the past 5 years I've progressively given up on trying to prevent my rabbits to chew things that aren't good for them (except if it's poisonous or really dangerous, of course): paper, cardboard, wallpaper, electrical cord, the floor, clothes... they tried everything and everytime I take something away from them, they find something else. The litter tray is something they never tried. Was it new? It's hard plastic, I would have thought it was pretty complicated for a rabbit to take a bit off of it. If the littertray is damaged or maybe there was a problem with it in the first place, making it not as sturdy as it should have been, you might want to try replacing it...

No it is hard plastic and their was nothing wrong with it. Bambi has just been chewing off bits of plastic on it. I think he is bored. Luckily he is moving out of his hutch into a run ( very big ) in a couple of days. There will be so much more room for toys and play things.

My bunnies chew their litterbox sides too. It will just pass through their gut and shouldn't cause any problems unless he is eating a lot of it, or breaking off big pieces.

Latest posts

Back