Is Cappybun unhappy?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apexo

Reaction score
We've just set up a run for him outside of his cage but he's just sat on his cushion and not moved (in the cage he just sits on top of his house all day). The only time he really knocks it up a gear is when he has free run of the living room (though he just sits very still in the kitchen in the corner unless I put him in the middle of the floor then he still doesn't move much but he hops round a little. He loves it outside but I'm just worried that we're doing something wrong :( He's neutered etc. He's got a lot of stuff to chew/eat/drink/throw around so am I worrying over nothing or am I in the wrong?

I've read articles that say 'oh your rabbit should be running around and playing and being socialble' the only time Cappy is socialble is when we hold him at all other times he avoids us :( he likes being stroked and doesn't seem scared of us he just doesn't seem to want to run around and exercise :(

Sorry I'm panicking I just want him to be the happiest bunny in the universe :)

1396719173565.jpg

1396719242929.jpg

Also he's on a diet of FibaCrunch (pic attached) and 2 bowls of Kale a day with a few spring greens and a few treat foods occasionally. Also he gets as much hay as he wants a day (as soon as his rack looks low I refill it) - the vet says this diet is fine but I just want to double check :)

1396720528037.jpg

His diet seems fine but you may want to give him a larger variety of veggies.

How long have you had him? If you haven't had him long he could be nervous or not used to the environment. Some rabbits aren't as social and playful as others. I've had rabbits like that.

We've had him since the 19th of February :) he seems to be happier doing his own thing (we did ask for the most laidback of the ones they had) Guess we kinda shot ourselves in the foot a little :p I love him to bits and I wouldn't change him for the world, it's just nice to be wanted occasionally :p

Some of our bunnies are very active and some are just lumps. They also are sometimes slow to take up something new to them--such creatures of habit. Bambi, our little Mini Rex will put herself up if we forget and leave the door to her hutch open. Cosmo runs around like he's rocket propelled. They are all different!

I think it's just his personality :) My Lady is a bit like that too. I have to get her out of her cage myself if I want her to exercise a bit and hop around, otherwise she is too shy to jump out of it herself.

There are some buns, like my girl Bella, who get gas from too much Kale. She'll get a belly ache and not want to move too much, but that's not necessarily true for all of them. Maybe sub out Kale for other greens for a bit for variety? Leaf lettuce, romaine....etc....just to see if it might make a difference?

Sounds like you are doing a great job, though.:)

Could it maybe have to do with the floor surfaces? I notice that there is a smooth floor in his run, and you probably have a smooth floor in the kitchen? And do you have carpet in your living room? Some rabbits are uncomfortable walking on slippery surfaces and prefer something with good traction, so if your living room is carpeted, that may be why he feels more comfortable running around in there.

He's also fairly new to your home. Some rabbits just take more time to settle in than others. Here are some tips on how to bond with your rabbit, that may help him settle in a little bit better.
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f28/bonding-your-bunny-29064/

Jbun: We just wanted something we could clean easy, my better half may be going to the hardware later today so I'll see if he can find anything a bit better for traction an still easyish to clean :)

mjpeter: he has a strange stomach (first bun so not sure if its all buns or if it's something at all) when I pick him up it's sort of like an airbag. It's not noticeable when he's on the floor or in his cage an its soft but could that be gas?

How are his poops? What do they look like? Does he poop often ? Buns drop 200-300 poops per day or so I have read as I haven't got the urge to count myself :)

How are his poops? What do they look like? Does he poop often ? Buns drop 200-300 poops per day or so I have read as I haven't got the urge to count myself :)

He doesn't seem to do 200-300 poops but like you say I haven't got the urge to count them lol I'd say nowhere near that number just from looking (we cleaned him out last night) so in under 24 hours I'd say about 30-40 at a stretch maybe 55, haven't counted just from what I see in his bedding definitely not even near 100 :( may have to get closer lol he was in his pen for quite a while last night (a good 3-4hours) and I can't see any poops in there at all an he's been in there again today probably 3 hours already (we only got a pen last night) he's currently being a meatloaf on his new pillow all tucked up lol after my reservations yesterday he now seems a bit more relaxed in the pen an he had a special treat of a bit of apple (only a little bit) and when he eventually found it about an hour later (sat in his food bowl) he wolfed that down like it was about to disappear so he's definitely eating and drinking :)

EDIT: his poops look like little balls :) haven't seen any lumpy ones he hasn't eaten though I think there were a few in his cage before we cleaned him as he REEKED an we only cleaned him out about 2 days prior (doesn't usually smell so quickly) he's neutered though we never had a problem with spraying or smelly wees :)

Last edited:
I don't think going for some time without pooping is a problem. Mine will lay around for hours and I won't see any poo and then he'll go eat some hay and poops like crazy.

It may just be that he needs more time to adjust to his new surroundings. It also could be that he's just a mellow bun. My girls are crazy and run around, dig, chew and binky almost the whole time they are out whereas my male spends most of his time out laying around.

My suggestion is to just familiarize yourself with the signs that show a bun is not feeling well/in pain. Watch your bun so you get to know him and his normal behaviors well.

He's got a lead but it's not very strong an he sometimes manages to squeeze out if it gets caught on something and I don't free it in time (like 2 seconds) I'm meant to follow where he goes but he winds himself round tables and under bushes an I can't exactly pull back on the lead really. We're on a main road so our only option is to walk him where we do which is in the back garden. The park is full of dogs off leads so we can't risk it at all.

Latest posts

Back