Is bath time safe?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats what were gonna train our rabbits to do also since they dont like to eat cat litter were tryna get them to stop sleeping in the cat litter

A rabbit is fully capable of cleaning their own bottom. Unless they have a medical issue preventing them from doing so, in which case then they need to see a vet. They should not have poo chunks stuck to them.

And cat litter is not safe even if they don't eat it. Just because your neighbour does something incredibly unsafe doesn't mean you should too.

His butt has a few poop chunks stuck to it
When I brought my rabbit home first he was there with 5 other little rabbits and his mother for 8 weeks so he was very clean but also had a few berries stuck in his fur on the bottom and probably had it for a couple weeks so I've just used nail trimmer to cut it off, very carefully. It worked very well.

The other rabbit Smokey in my avatar he lived in cage with his mother and 3 other babies for 8 weeks his coat wasn't bad but I cleaned his bottom and paws with a damp cloth using baby shampoo and after with damp cloth with water and then I sat with him near heater and tried to dry his paws and bottom with paper towels and hair dryer. Their fur is so thick you can't dry it completely very difficult, just use damp cloth when really necessary.

Yukishi, there are plenty of safe ways to set up a litter box for rabbits. Wood pellets (different than shavings) are a popular favorite here on RO. They are very cheap and work great. Just put some in a plastic tub and top them with hay.

You can take a look here (click) for photos of how to set up a litter box and other safe options for litter (including a list of what litters are not safe -- it isn't just eating it that is dangerous).

As for bathing, as Watermelons said, baths can cause more harm than good. A rabbit's skin is very thin and very delicate. They really should never need a bath. On rare occasion, just their butt may need to be cleaned if something happened with their diet (or illness) causing it. I've never had to give any of my (many) rabbits a bath or a butt bath.

Yukishi, there are plenty of safe ways to set up a litter box for rabbits. Wood pellets (different than shavings) are a popular favorite here on RO. They are very cheap and work great. Just put some in a plastic tub and top them with hay.

You can take a look here (click) for photos of how to set up a litter box and other safe options for litter (including a list of what litters are not safe -- it isn't just eating it that is dangerous).

As for bathing, as Watermelons said, baths can cause more harm than good. A rabbit's skin is very thin and very delicate. They really should never need a bath. On rare occasion, just their butt may need to be cleaned if something happened with their diet (or illness) causing it. I've never had to give any of my (many) rabbits a bath or a butt bath.
Wood pellets are great I've got them too, thanks again! Besides I've seen wood pellets for cats too, interesting if you can use them for rabbits, I mean is it safe for them as they can chew them? Cat's pellets cost twice cheaper in my store for some reason, same amount 10 ltr bag

Latest posts

Back