Is anyone headed to the PASRBA show in Lebanon, PA this weekend?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smay67

Reaction score
Just wondered if anyone else will be heading to the PASRBA show in Lebanon, PA this weekend.

If so, what kind of rabbits will you have for sale?

I wish I was too, I'm hoping to find some nice dutch there for sale.
Some blues, a couple torts and a pair or trio of chins!
*sigh* sadly I'll be at work, dreaming of my horses and all those bunnies at PASRBA instead

So is this show open to everybody or just breeders/show people? I've never been to one before.:)

its open to anyone that wants to go. you can sign up and show if you want to. its day of show entries, some of the specialty shows have early entry but you can still do it day of show too.
the building will be open at 6 pm friday night for entries.
even if you are not showing there will be bunnies for sale, raffle tables, and vendors set up.
its a great weekend!!!!

Oh I am so going to map this out to see how far I am. I would love to see all the different breeds in person :biggrin2:

I'll be going Saturday morning to show my Tan buck for fun and to hopefully scope out some sale bunnies for a friend. :) I'm totally bummed I'll be missing watching the hopping competition on Sunday, though.

April, you should definitely go! The PASRBA show is HUGE, and there are always a variety of breeds exhibited that would be rare to see otherwise. Even if you don't show, it's so interesting to come see all the different bunnies and learn about the breeds. Here's some more information in case you need it: LINK

I was planning on stopping but New bunny is being picked up about 50 miles outside Lebanon. And with a new bunny, can't stop.

Disappointing but will look for other dates. Really want to experience a Show.

Wishing everyone luck who goes.

K :)

I went to the Lebanon show held in the fall and will never go to a rabbit show again. As someone who has been to multiple cat shows and just this one rabbit show, I found it a little depressing. It was lots of rabbits everywhere, stacked in tiny cages. I know it is the only way you can really transport a number of animals and keep them in a smallish space, but it made me sad. The feeling was more that the rabbits were a commodity compared to cat shows where the cats are pampered and fussed over. Just my observation as an outsider, I'm not trying to make judgements.

That is where Gary came from. He was going to be culled by his breeder because he "wasn't worth the feed to take him back to NY", he had a DQ. I couldn't leave him to that fate, it broke my heart. Perhaps it skewed my perspective on the event.

:sad:

MiniLopHop wrote:
I went to the Lebanon show held in the fall and will never go to a rabbit show again. As someone who has been to multiple cat shows and just this one rabbit show, I found it a little depressing. It was lots of rabbits everywhere, stacked in tiny cages. I know it is the only way you can really transport a number of animals and keep them in a smallish space, but it made me sad. The feeling was more that the rabbits were a commodity compared to cat shows where the cats are pampered and fussed over. Just my observation as an outsider, I'm not trying to make judgements.

That is where Gary came from. He was going to be culled by his breeder because he "wasn't worth the feed to take him back to NY", he had a DQ. I couldn't leave him to that fate, it broke my heart. Perhaps it skewed my perspective on the event.

:sad:
It is hard, but unfortunately this is part of the showing world and breeding sale world. You have to understand not everybody looks at these little animals as a future. Some think of them as money. There are very good breeders who handle their kits every day to make sure of they are socialized, their adults are pampered because of their pedigree. But you still have those who see dollar signs. And if I don't sell this DQ, it will only cost me more money and aggravation to keep. That's what you witnessed.

That kind of experience would skew anyone's perspective. I've seen pics of the small cages, but that keeps them safe. And have you been to a rescue lately for cats? I see cats all over the place abandonded and left to run wild. There are those who worship these animals and others that like bunnies only see dollar signs.

It's the Show World. You have good and bad. Don't let this one time taint your impression of the ARBA world. Just remember, it takes all kinds to make a world, and don't ever be surprised. And don't ever put everyone in that same catagory.

I'm really looking forward to seeing my first show. But it will be more observation than actual participation at first. Just the way it is.

K :)

MiniLopHop wrote:

I'm sorry this is what you took away from your rabbit show experience. Keep in mind that yes, rabbit carriers are small, and this is for safety. A rabbit sliding around in a too-big cage in the back of the car is not only stressful, but dangerous should the car be in an accident. Some bunnies do stress at show, and keeping them safely confined in a smaller space can help make them feel safe and secure. It's not about stuffing as many animals as possible in a building, it's about keeping them safe.

Also keep in mind that the word "cull" has different connotations depending on the breeder. To cull often means to remove from the breeding program, and that definition includes selling off stock as pets. You are absolutely welcome to your own opinion, but please remember that rabbits are not cats; they are a multi-use livestock animal that serve many other functions outside of being companion animals. A breeder that does not view every rabbit as a dear pet should not be looked down on.

Thanks Holly! I am really considering going :biggrin:
You are very welcome April! :)

Karen, Yes I have seen the abandoned cats. I volunteer at my local SPCA. I work with socializing the rabbits mostly but they are in the cat room. Unfortunately people can be cruel to any species.

"A breeder that does not view every rabbit as a dear pet should not be looked down on."
[/quote]
Holly, thank you for pointing out the safety factor. That makes me feel a bit better. I may eventually go back to a show because I'm learning how to spin Houdini's wool. I figured it might be fun to enter one of the wool competitions.

I grew up with farm animals so I know the livestock mentality. That makes me sad too. I showed dairy cows for 4-H because they got to have a good life after. My dad wanted me to show pigs and/or beef as well. I just couldn't do it. The fights about meat started when I was 10 and my favorite bull went missing and we had fresh beef. I refuse to eat my friends. I guess I'm too much of a softie to fit well in a livestock world. That's why I moved to a different state where I wasn't surrounded by farmers. The last time I visited home I went out to eat with my dad. I tried to order a salad without the meat. The response was "salad isn't food, it's what food eats". I may not agree, but I can respect others opinions.

I just want to clarify, I don't look down on the breeders. I understand they have the right to run their program as they see fit. It just makes me sad because I know the joy of house rabbits.

Edit: sorry the quote came out wrong.
Oh, and the reason I even posted was just so others would be mentally prepared. I was a bit taken aback.

I can't wait!! My daughter and I are headed down first thing in the morning. I really wanted to go down to watch the hopping, but buying another French Lop is at the top of my list. So Saturday it is. Is it Saturday yet? LOL

smay67 wrote:
Just wondered if anyone else will be heading to the PASRBA show in Lebanon, PA this weekend.

If so, what kind of rabbits will you have for sale?

I got a really GORGEOUS Blue Flemish buck from a really good breeder at the show. SO excited to have him. LOL!

I LOVE going to that show!

Oh, I thought they had a couple of blue ones. Honestly, when I go for a visit I end up mainly looking at the Frenchies. LOL They have so many breeds, and so many of each breed, I don't know how the heck they keep track of everyone.

Do you have any pictures of your new boy? Does he have a full pedigree? If not, then I know which one you got, because Michelle and David were oogling one. But it didn't have a pedigree, so they passed.

I meant that I didn't see them show any blues... (I think they do have some.) Yes, the boy I got is fully pedigreed.

I don't blame them for passing on the one without a pedigree... especially if they are working on their breeding program. (Was it really unpedigreed, or did the breeder refuse to give a pedigree because they felt it shouldn't be used for breeding? I saw both there.)

I had 3 breeds on 4 Tables at the same time... it was kinda crazy. LOL! You have to stay focused.

I'll try and get a photo of him tonight when I get home. He is very sweet! :biggrin:

No, it didn't have a pedigree, and he was nice, too.

I'm only doing 2 breeds. But I think my daughter will be showing her Cals in youth and the French will go in open. So that shouldn't be too terribly hard, I wouldn't think.

How in the world do you keep track of who's up on which table? It looks like mass pandemonium with just 1 breed. LOL

I can't wait to see pictures! Flems are my second favorite, but I love the Frenchies. I think, once we get the Cals and Frenchies off to a good start, we're going to go with mini rex next. My daughter wants a smaller breed and I love the rex fur. Right now the Cals are hers and the Frenchies are mine. The Mini Rex would be our combined breed, and we'll fight over who gets to show what. LOL

Latest posts

Back