Is a stuffed animal companion a good idea?

Help Support RabbitsOnline:

overhear

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I recently adopted a rescue rabbit, Joey. She hangs around with us in the living room for a couple of hours each morning and evening, but during the day is mostly in her cage (30 x 20").

She gets a lot of snuggles when she's out, but I'm thinking about giving her a plush stuffed animal for company during the day.

Any thoughts on whether this is a good or bad idea, and what to look out for in terms of product safety? I see that there are lots of stuffed animal chew toys marketed for dogs, but I'm definitely not keen on squeak toys!

Mariam+Theo

Reaction score
I gave Theo a stuffed Teddy Bear because I didn't want him to be lonely. I think that a stuffed animal is a great idea! It doesn't need to be a certain type of plushie, it could be an old stuffed animal from when you were a kid. I don't suggest getting a dog toy because of the squeaking.

Bunnymama99

Reaction score
Honestly I’d say it’s a good idea this helps out with vet visits too or wherever you have to bring your bun it’s always suggested to have something from home taken with them so they don’t panic and help them feel a bit comfortable. Just make sure to cut off the tags (when I gave my buns their first toy it was a replica of sushi for dogs and they wanted to basically rip off the tag/chew it) and it’s not a stuffy that would rip up easily! Even if it’s a stuffy with your scent even better for the comfort of the rabbit. :) and when you wash it also use less detergent & in general make sure there is no strong scent in it so it doesn’t irritate your rabbit!

helena

Reaction score
Bunnies love stuffed animal companions and will groom and lay with them. I think it is a good idea for single bunnies to have one. Just don't get a squeaky dog toy as I can only imagine how scared that would make a bunny! Just try to get one with thicker fur/skin so it doesn't rip too easily and the bunny ingests the stuffing.

JBun

Jenny - Health & Wellness Mod
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Just don't get one that is filled with beads of any sort, and remove any small plastic parts, strings, etc, on the outside that could get chewed and ingested.

JingleBellTheBunny

Reaction score
I gave my rabbit a stuffed animal, but he didn't seem interested. Its been in his cage for two days and we doesn't go near it unless I put a treat on it or put it near him. How can I make him more comfortable with it?

Helix5

Reaction score
I think its a Good idea! I gave my boy a small bunny plushie that looked like him and he loves it! He loves to groom it (I made sure it doesn't have lose fur so he doesnt ingest too much) and sleep next to it. Here's a pic of him and his friend on a stroller ride Message_1587937726011~7.jpg