Is 7 weeks too soon to take babies away from mama (hollands)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
I have two holland lop does that have 7 week old litters. Of the two litters - we have two girls and five boys.

Both mamas have started humping their babies and are very "amorous" - unfortunately, I no longer have a herd buck for my hollands....so it isn't like I can rebreed them to help them out (unless I go with a lionhead).

Is it ok to take the babies away from them now and let them just live together (babies)?

I normally wait until mamas wean them (these mamas are still nursing them and grooming them - but also started humping them aggressively this evening).

I'm just not used to having mamas do this at this age....usually I wind up removing the babies around 8-9 weeks cause I tend to think the longer they're with mama - the better off they are.

We always remove the babies when it gets to that stage to give both Momma and babies a break from it all. However, if they are still nursing then we put the babies back in with Momma at night to nurse and cuddle and schnogle together. We do that up until 8 weeks at which point we wean permanently and keep everybody separate.

If you don't want to put babies back in to nurse with Mom (if Mom's behavior is proving to be too aggressive) then it's totally fine to wean them permanently at 7 weeks!

I put the babies back with the mamas to nurse a while ago and that went well - but then the mamas both started acting like they were going to hump them again....so I removed them.

I may let them nurse another day or so...and then continue to take them away.

Right now all 7 are living together in a big cage and doing quite well.

That is probably true - but they are currently in a large dog kennel type cage....for now. I will separate them around 8 or 9 weeks....depending upon how they do.

Right now they still like to snuggle together (both litters have played together since shortly after their eyes opened).

I must be a bad rabbit mom, I wean all of my rabbits by 6 weeks and this has been my normal practice because that is what I was taught 30 years ago. However 30 years ago everything was considered mature at 6 months,too with only the exception of your giant breeds. Most dwarf and mini breeds did not exist yet.

Yup, I would take momma away from the babies! Make sure they have food, and lots of hay!

Latest posts

Back