Is 2nd cut Timothy harvested at a certain time?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumperina

Reaction score
In the middle of July I bought a large box of hay from the company that has very good reviews. Never bought from them before, I bought the second cutting.
My buns ignore it, but what is more of a surprise is that I wasn't impressed at all when I first opened the box.. I was expecting at least very fresh delicious smell. The hay itself is rather coarse (and this is the second cutting? what is the first like then? Ok,. I have to admit, until this box, I never bought a specific cutting of hay)

Another hay company that operates at about the same area of U.S has on its website: "First cutting available, the second coming soon" which made me think that it may not be the time yet to have fresh second and especially third cutting yet!

But the company that sold me a box of hay sells all three cuttings and claims they all are cut just prior shipping!

Here is a question..are their time frames for certain hay cuttings to be harvested in the western USA? My second cutting was shipped on July 17th.

Nope. Depends on the weather and amount of growth.
2nd cut is usually coarser.
Keep in mind hay is just a different species of grass. Nature controls it. It will never be exactly the same.
Hay is simply dried grass. They cut it. Lay it to dry in the fields. Turn it a few times over a few days to ensure its fully dried. Then bale it. Packaging for retail would occur after that. They dont go out and trim it when they receive an order.
First cut is typically softer.

Nope. Depends on the weather and amount of growth.
2nd cut is usually coarser.
Keep in mind hay is just a different species of grass. Nature controls it. It will never be exactly the same.
Hay is simply dried grass. They cut it. Lay it to dry in the fields. Turn it a few times over a few days to ensure its fully dried. Then bale it. Packaging for retail would occur after that. They dont go out and trim it when they receive an order.
First cut is typically softer.
thank you Watermelons.
There are a few companies that claim that they DO package freshly cut hay after their receive an order
Not quite correct. The first is the most coarse, and the third is the softest.

Last edited:
When a farm harvests their 1st, 2nd, or possibly 3rd cuts will vary depending on location, weather, and the whims of the farm itself. How mature the grass is allowed to get before a cutting also changes the "quality" of the hay. I don't think one can definitively say when 2nd cuts are cut in the midwest (or anywhere) because the weather and rain can change that from year to year.

The 1st cutting from one farm may be completely different in quality than the 1st cutting from another farm.

So, Thumperina, the 2nd cutting you received could have been allowed to mature/grow for too long. Then it would be more coarse and less desirable. That doesn't mean that their first cutting is more coarse -- it depends on when, in the growing stage, it is harvested.

Generally, though, a 2nd cutting is softer, and more leafy. However, this softer hay also has less fiber and has the potential to be too rich.

I imagine it will be trial and error for you to find a source for your hay that is consistent in its hay quality. Sounds like the new company wasn't up to par?

Here's a great article that is super informative about hay and cuttings and quality:
http://rabbit.org/hay-in-your-bunnys-diet/.

Thanks Blue eyes.
Frankly speaking,. my rabbits have access to fresh grass every day so they are not very keen about any hay. They also don't drink water.
reading all this wonderful reviews for the company that is new to me, I was sure my buns would like their hay. But even I wasn't impressed.

Latest posts

Back