Irritated eye after anesthesia

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kada

Reaction score
My rabbit's teeth were filed yesterday evening and he was put to sleep for it. This morning I noticed that his other eye is a bit red and he can't open it fully.

The vet put some type of gel eye drops in his eyes so they won't get dry. I've been cleaning his eyes with saline solution now. There seems to be some type of white goop in his eye and I got it out with the solution.

Is this normal after anesthesia? When he was waking up he was very panicky and a piece of hay might have irritated his eye.. I can't see anything wrong with his eye itself. The outside just looks a bit red..

If it doesn't start looking any better, I would suggest calling your vet. It could be that before or after the surgery, the cornea somehow got scratched from debris getting stuck in there or maybe an eyelash poking in from the gel they put on there, and now prescription eye drops are needed to help it heal. Or possibly it could be conjuctivitis.

If it doesn't start looking any better, I would suggest calling your vet. It could be that before or after the surgery, the cornea somehow got scratched from debris getting stuck in there or maybe an eyelash poking in from the gel they put on there, and now prescription eye drops are needed to help it heal. Or possibly it could be conjuctivitis.
I did notice that his eyelashes were pressing against his eye when he was asleep.. Maybe that scratched his eye.

I booked a vet appointment for tommorrow. I'll keep cleaning the eye with saline solution so hopefully it wont get worse.

Also an update to this. The vet said that there is a small scratch in the cornea. He prescribed my bunny antibiotic eye drops for 7-10 days 3 times a day. It's only the second day and the eye is already looking better: he's not squinting it anymore and there's no more white discharge.

My only concern though is that the vet didn't use the coloring eye drops?? (i don't know what it's called in english) to check the eye. He just turned off the lights and used a flashlight and these weird binoculars. He did notice immediately that there was a scratch.

I don't know if I'm being paranoid but I'm still scared he missed something because he didn't use the coloring eye drops to check the eye. It seems like the eye is healing though.

Latest posts

Back