Irresponsible Baby Bunny Owner

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kati's Holland Lops

Reaction score
I was on youtube just looking around and i saw a video of a girl feeding her bunny carrots, that is not what bothered me, the thing that bothered my was that it was a baby bunny (like no older than 3 months old). so i scroll down and i see that she said in the description, "Bobboy in memory. My adorable bunny suffered diarrhea for 2 days and then he left me forever at 8.15pm, 2nd April 2008. I was petting him on my lap at the very last moment when he was dying and it was unbearable to see he took his very last breath in my hand. I will always remember his soft, fluffy and delicate companion. It's very traumatic and how I wish this is only a dream to me." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSYZxUh-V6g

obviously it died because it was getting diarrhea from the carrots and other crap it was fed
:brownbunny:brownbunny:brownbunny:brownbunny

:bunnysuit::faint::innocent:

Well, it's hard to say for sure what caused the poor bunny to pass. Making assumptions about the owner's responsibilities towards her bun isn't going to do much. From the sounds of things the owner of that bunny loved him very dearly, and cared for him the best that she could. Just because he was eating carrots at 3 months doesn't mean he was being fed a bad diet; she may have just been recording the times he was eating his treats.

Heck, Felix was snacking on a few treats and vegies from around 8/9 weeks old. He'd been nibbling at them at his breeder's, so it wasn't the worst thing for him. He enjoyed them and they didn't appear to cause him any harm.

I understand it's frustrating to see other people treat bunnies in a way we feel isn't the best, but we can't know what caused the bun to be poorly.

There are circumstances where veggies might be okay given to a young bun (For instance like Pani said, if they'd had them before from wherever they came from). In any case, there are lots of things that might cause a fragile baby bun to become poorly. :(

Sad that the baby died though. It sounds to me like the owner tried their best.

my bunny was eating carrots, broccoli, herbs, anything he could get at in the garden, watermelon, cucumber.....etc from the "breeder" i got him from. they grew up with all the food the mummy bunny was eating. in small quantities this has not affected my bunny as his main diet is hay and pellets. the little tummy might have been also use to such treats and MAYBE it was something else.... we will never know i guess....

Stewie was eating exactly 1 baby carrot each day since he was 11 weeks old, I was using them for training him to sit on my lap and for building trust. I was warned about feeding him more than one per day.

The girl's bunny could have developed diarrhea from things other than carrots, he could have been sick when she got him, who knows. My last two rabbits (over 15 years ago) were fed "crap" (pellets with "snacks" mixed in), timothy hay...but very little per day and tons of veggies including iceburg lettuce (I didn't know any better....no internet and not many good books).

Not everyone studies up when the add a new creature to their house, there are tons of rabbits who live in less than ideal situations and eat less than perfect diets.

Sounds like the girl was heartbroken over the death of her bunny....

It's obvious to those of us who know better, but unfortunately the person who made that video didn't. She says she loved her rabbit so it wasn't a case of not caring. She just didn't know that carrots in that large amount can cause rabbit diarrhea and a vet appointment would be necessary. :sosad

Unfortunately, it has become apparent to me since I became a bunny caretaker last summer, that many people are unaware of the special care rabbits need and don't know what they are getting into when they take home that cute, fuzzy bunny from the pet store. I really didn't know what I was in for when we got our rabbits, but have taken the time to educate myself and made the commitment to take care of them for the rest of their lives.

I didn't watch the whole video. Although it did seem to be a lot of carrots from the part I did see to the bun hadn't eaten that much so I'm not sure if she might have only allowed him a little as she was filming how he could open a container. I did see a pop up right before I stopped watch that said not too feed too many carrots, hay and pellets are better.

So maybe she either didn't actually allow him to eat too much or maybe what she did allow him to have she thought was a little when in actuality it might be what we consider a lot.

I know how you feel though. I always want to start giving every first time bun owner every single piece of advice that I can. I think what makes it hardest is that buns can go down hill and perish so quickly. Too often by the time a new owner realizes that they should be worried it is too late to save them even with a vets help. Most people are more used to dogs and cats where a case of diarrhea isn't so urgent.

I'm one of the few around here that even feeds hay. Most here assume pellets only is all the rabbit needs. That is one of many reasons I don't sell my rabbits. I will adopt one out here and there as a pet, if I know the person and, I have had them spend considerable time here, learning how to care for rabbits and, wht to feed them and not feed them.

Sadly the media has got everyone not in the know thinking rabbits eat lots of carrots. Well yes, if wild rabbits get in your garden, they do destroy the carrots but, they don't eat the orange roots - they eat the green tops of the carrots. Sure a little carrot root is fine as a treat, but really the rabbit would rather have the tops than the carrot itself.

Chico and Chica were eating tomatoes and apples from about 2 months. I found out Grandma and my husband were sneaking them to the buns when I was at work. Soon all they wanted to eat was nothing but apples and tomatoes. Even now they are faddy in what they will eat! I've given my guys carrots and for the first 6 months they wanted nothing to do with them. Just now and they will be 2 years old June 9th, they rarely eat carrots due to the fact I think they don't like them. Period. None of my bunnies do! Now don't get me wrong they love other things like mad, Lady loves Bananas, Brooke loves dried apples, and so on but they sure don't make up 90 percent of their meals. They are like treats. They have tons of Hay and pellets and fresh veggies like Parsley and Cilantro.

Vanessa

Latest posts

Back