Introvert bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evelyn K

Reaction score
I have a 6-month old Netherland Dwarf. She started building nests and digging, so I had her spayed by a vet with rabbit specialty. Since the surgery, she has had a personality change. Cocoa just sits in her cage (door open.) She won't come out. If we coax her with a treat, she goes back in immediately. Before spaying, she was really affectionate, socialized with us, sat nearby at times, and had her favorite spots in the house. Is this change likely permanent due to anesthesia?

How long ago did you do the spay?

You can bribe her with food, she might have just had a bad experience and have associated the negative with you. So you will just have to build up her trust towards you :)

I wouldn't blame the surgery. Adult rabbits are (or can be) totally different than they were as babies. Rabbits become adults at 6-7 months of age. So she likely would have been this way regardless of whether she had surgery. Adults can have 'attitude'!

Give her time and opportunity. Follow the suggestions on the link @Mariam+Theo gave above. Be patient.

Latest posts

Back