Introduction from PA

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lotsoluffles wrote:
Ah, I see. Though I feel obliged to point out that, whether domestic or wild, rabbit meat is inferior to even domestic turkey and chicken meat as far as healthiness goes. It is fattier and has more cholesterol. Pretty sure chicken/turkey also doesn't need a license, which is the same for the rabbits, assuming you don't sell them to a store or pet store, and make less than $500 from them.

Haha, I have no doubts that you can take care of a rabbit. I was more worried about warning you about the costs, since I tend to worry a lot over details. You would have been racking up debt like that while trying to help animals, which is not a good outcome for someone with good intentions. So I'm glad you're just going to be using them more as pets instead.

I just noticed something also, I still think rabbit meat would be healthier then store poultry,sure if I had chickens it would be healthier, but with store meat, since so many animals are mass produced, and put on steriods or hormones, i feel having rabbits or chickens would be best. Id love a fewhens for eggs. I could never butcher chickens.. Idk why its just me I love birdies so much and they are usually so mistreated that i could only have chickens for eggs. Of course i dont care if someone else has them for meat and stuff, its just me I guess. But i think so many kids are maturing so much faster also because everything that is put in our food nowadays..

Also I'd never sell anything to a pet store :) I despise them, they have no idea what they are talking about half the time and try to make you think things you dont need. like they say to get a cover for your bird cage, when 1, they dont need to be cooped up in a cage, and 2 no one goes out and covers the birds at night, it just something thats obviously not natural, but people dont realize it cuz the pet stores make it sound good..

Shelbers91 wrote:
I just noticed something also, I still think rabbit meat would be healthier then store poultry,sure if I had chickens it would be healthier, but with store meat, since so many animals are mass produced, and put on steriods or hormones, i feel having rabbits or chickens would be best. Id love a fewhens for eggs. I could never butcher chickens.. Idk why its just me I love birdies so much and they are usually so mistreated that i could only have chickens for eggs. Of course i dont care if someone else has them for meat and stuff, its just me I guess. But i think so many kids are maturing so much faster also because everything that is put in our food nowadays..

Also I'd never sell anything to a pet store :) I despise them, they have no idea what they are talking about half the time and try to make you think things you dont need. like they say to get a cover for your bird cage, when 1, they dont need to be cooped up in a cage, and 2 no one goes out and covers the birds at night, it just something thats obviously not natural, but people dont realize it cuz the pet stores make it sound good..
Oh, I would love to raise chickens! They're so pretty! I totally get not being able to kill them; I would have to use them for eggs, too. It's a character flaw on my part, though. I can't even kill bugs. I couldn't even dissect the frog or fetal pig in bio class (my teacher and lab partner are both very understanding). And it's true, there are hormones in foods we don't need more of. Men shouldn't even be eating too much soy due to the estrogen content (and it's put in nearly everything as well as being a delicious alternative to meat, so it's hard to eat little of). I assume animals would have it naturally, even without added hormones or steroids, since their bodies produce it on their own.

Yeah, I'm not too fond of pet stores, either. Sweet Pea was in a cage with one of those hamster water dispensers and half a head of iceberg lettuce, starting to turn brown. No hay, no pellets. When I took her home, she flopped on the side of her cage and breathed very heavily like she was having a heat stroke, and then I realized... SHE DIDN'T KNOW HOW TO USE THE WATER DISPENSER!! I dumped her food dish immediately and filled it with filtered water and she jumped on it and drank it up like she was dying. It was horrifying! I don't even want to know how she managed to survived in the store. :(

Found the oxbow feed and the kaytee feed at my local petsmart but they want way too much for it but at least I know it's here I'd probably get it from dr.s foster and smith still and I know it's spring now since all the butterflies outside my house are twitterpated lol :D

Shelbers91 wrote:
Found the oxbow feed and the kaytee feed at my local petsmart but they want way too much for it but at least I know it's here I'd probably get it from dr.s foster and smith still and I know it's spring now since all the butterflies outside my house are twitterpated lol :D
You will find different pricing at different stores. Good to know you are doing your research to find your supplied for your bunnies in the future.

The pet store that I frequent for my food supplies for my bunnies has promotions like buy one get on free. Plus if you buy 5, you get the 6th one free.

I shop around all the time to make sure I get the right price.

K:)

ZRabbits wrote:
You will find different pricing at different stores.  Good to know you are doing your research to find your supplied for your bunnies in the future. 

The pet store that I frequent for my food supplies for my bunnies has promotions like buy one get on free.  Plus if you buy 5, you get the 6th one free. 

Thats definitely a good thing to do and thanks :) my pet store would be cheaper just to buy the food for 12.99 for 5lbs but if I get lots of stuff from dr.s foster and smith it would be cheaper. I could probably get some new coconut fiber bedding for my hermit crabs and such too to get more for my money ^^ wish mine had bogo's here and there though. Everyone and there buns been doing ok?
[/quote]

Shelbers91 wrote:
ZRabbits wrote:
You will find different pricing at different stores. Good to know you are doing your research to find your supplied for your bunnies in the future.

The pet store that I frequent for my food supplies for my bunnies has promotions like buy one get on free. Plus if you buy 5, you get the 6th one free.

Thats definitely a good thing to do and thanks :) my pet store would be cheaper just to buy the food for 12.99 for 5lbs but if I get lots of stuff from dr.s foster and smith it would be cheaper. I could probably get some new coconut fiber bedding for my hermit crabs and such too to get more for my money ^^ wish mine had bogo's here and there though. Everyone and there buns been doing ok?
It's to good combined animals needs (hermit crabs, bunnies, birds) and shop on-line to get a lot more for your money.

I'm not everybody, but we are doing well and our Bunnies are all A-OK. Thanks for asking.

Latest posts

Back