Introducing Veggies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lavendertealatte

Reaction score
I've started introducing veggies to Bunster. Dunno if he's just a picky little bun or what, but he has rejected most of what I have offered him, including

• butter lettuce
  • mixed leaf lettuce
  • strawberry tops
  • cucumber

But he really likes peppermint.

Normal behavior or not? I thought all rabbits would eat lettuce. He is used to getting pellets from my hands and doesn't eat hay if I offer it to him but will eat hay if it's in his litter box and I don't restock his pellet bowl when it's empty right away... so I imagine he might just be being picky...

Sometimes it will take several introductions of the same green before they decide to try it. Some won't try it until it at least seems 'familiar' smell-wise. So be sure that whatever you offer, that you offer it at least several times in a row. And then you can even try it again a few weeks later.

Another 'trick' is to offer it mixed with any greens that you already know he tolerates and likes (once you have a list of several). It may just take him accidentally eating it to realize it is good.

What is his age again?

I think he's about four months.. well there isn't anything dropping down there so he might be a she.

He literally took the cucumber from me, bit it, and then threw it. Haha. T_T

Oh to add to the list of things he ate..
He did eat a lavender leaf from our backyard but not the lavender bud part.

And he just ate a broccoli leaf, after sticking it in his face the second time.

//edit//
He loves parsley. Hoorah!

What do you all think the appropriate amount of pellets at this age to give is?

Last edited:
Mine like parsley, cilantro, kale, endive, dandelion, rappini, spinach, and carrots.

They've never cared much for lettuces (green, red, boston), romaines (red, green), collards, mustard greens, cucumbers, or strawberry leaves.

They also don't like strawberries, raspberries, pineapple, or pears. They might nibble on bananna. They like apple, though (fresh or dried).

Hm, sounds like our buns may have similar taste buds Samoth! Recently I introduced carrot tops to Bunster and those are happily eaten.

Latest posts

Back