introducing veggies to older bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DwarfGirl

Reaction score
I just adopted a tiny black dwarf bunny. Age is not known but at least 2 years old. Her nails had never been trimmed and it appears that she has never seen a vegetable in her life. What would be best way to try and introduce veggies? Which veggie would be the easiest to get her to eat? Thanks for any advice.

I'd go very slow to start with... offer maybe a few stalks of parsley or cilantro today, and keep it up for about 3-4 days. Monitor poops closely for any loose stool. Then, move onto the next vegetable.

Is she familiar with apple or carrot, which may have been a treat for her? It may take many many weeks before she ever does anything more than take one or two bites, but I'm pretty sure she'll come around at some point.

By the way, if she doesn't ever get into vegetables, it's not a huge issue - many rabbits do fine on a pellet/hay diet; boring, but it can work.

I think we need pictures of your new addition :D Has she got a name yet?

She won't accept carrots, I don't think she knows it's food? I know she can live without them but I hope she will try something because I know she will love it and I want her to have treats. I shredded some up and put it in her food dish with her pellets was thata good idea or bad? Here's a picture of her. She was never taken out of her cage and/or played with either so she doesn't know how to interact with anything or anyone. She did come with all supplies and avery roomy cage though, it gives me some comfort that she wasn't locked in a tiny space for 2 years. She appears to be maybe a netherland dwarf/holland lop mix? She's the size of a nethie but the ears are a little too long and she has the big neck roll that lops get. I really don't know all that much about all the breeds so let me know if I'm wrong. I'm going to line the bottom of her cage with a soft material so she doesn't have to always sit on that towel. She doesn't have a name yet, open to suggestions.

PICT1966.jpg

PICT1965.jpg

OOH! She's lovely!

Can you start a thread in the main section for naming her? Pop in a few pictures, and I bet you'll have more name suggestions than you can handle there :)
Post a pic in the Rabbitry for some breed ID too.

I think that popping them in her pellets is a good idea... just take it one veg at a time. She may not like some of what you offer right now, but may grow to love it over time.
What a beauty! Thanks for giving her a great home :hug:

She ate the shredded carrots out of her bowl:D So wil stick with that for a week before trying a new veggie? Just a little bit of shredded in her bowl every other day or every day? Don't want to overdo it. What I added yesterday was probably a tablespoon amount.

And I saw her eat some of the fresh timothy hay I got her:D

Still no name for her. Havn't had time to post those other threads you suggested, maybe tomorrow.

She is sooo beautiful.

Here are a few good sites about safe veggies etc for buns:

http://www.adoptarabbit.com/articles/packet/abcvegi.html
http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/safefoods.htm

I would try to avoid giving carrot every day, just due to the high sugar content, but I'm sure while you are just getting her used to it it won't be a big deal.

That's great you are introducing them individually over a period of time, because that way you can be sure of which one affects her which way :)

Jen

Beaut!
once a rabbit is about 6 months old you can start introducing them to veggies. Take it slow and not too much or you'll get runny droppings!
Good luck!
from dustie the arctic bunny

I wouldn't worry about a tabelspoon full of shredded carrot. The amount of sugar in carrots is greatly exagerated anyway.
Yes, they are in the high range FOR VEGETABLES, they are certainly higher in sugar than lettuce, but the sugar content is still much LOWER than in any of the fruits or other treats people give to their rabbits.
And since this rabbit doesn't eat any treats, a spoonfull of carrot certainly won't hurt. Once she gets used to other greens, you can reserve the carrot for healthy treats, but even then, an inch or two of carrot every day won't hurt.

While you are slowly introducing her to greens, remember that it may take time. Just keep offering, and eventually the bunny will try to eat them. Hazel often has to be offered something at least 3 times, before she'll even try to nibble on it. The first times she just sniffs it.

Latest posts

Back