Introducing Timothy hay and hay based pellet to rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanillaMarshmellUwU

Reaction score
So the hay and pellets (all Timothy) that i ordered just arrived this morning somewhere at 11AM in the Philippines, when I first introduced him the star grass hay(the first hay I introduced him) he does not like the hay but eats it In a tiny amount whenever there is no food so at night I started to suspend the pellets and give him a hand full of hay but the next day, I saw the pile of hay that I gave him scattered everywhere and it seems like he didn't eat an inch of it, then I started to worry, so I bought Timothy hay and Timothy based pellets and so the hay and pellets arrived, I tried introducing these little by little and put it in his food bowl along with the feeds that he loves(I know that feeds are unhealthy for rabbits but this is the only pellet that I can buy in my place) maybe he will eat it but NOOO he uses his snout to push the hay and pellets A-side (what a smart kiddo). I'm worried that he will neither like any hay nor eat any hay, I tried using a hay rack and it did not work however, I plan to use wheatgrass as an alternative since it's my last option and he also loves it, sadly the wheatgrass that I planet for him died because of rats laying down on it as if it was a bed.

Last edited:
Don't be too stressed if your "pushy little brat" refuses the hay at first. He will eventually eat it if he has nothing else. Try stuffing that hay in his toys, weave a simple braid or a mat from them, or straightup poke it in his face when he decides that he won't eat it. If he does decide to eat on his own and you happen to see it, maybe give him a treat for it and share some praises-do positive reinforcing. Leave out the feed or whatnot tasty nuggets he has so he doesn't have a choice. Give him timothy or whatever other healthier pellets you got. What brand are they?

Last edited:
My oldest bun is 12, and he and our first bunny only had Kaytee Timothy Complete. Just the plain kind, they should not have seeds or fruit or any weird added stuff. I have tried many hays on them, and it was a negative on timothy hay, a negative on oat hay, some liking to meadow hay and they settled to love orchard grass hay. All the other hays ended up topping his litter box. Many times they will scatter the pile you place down for them because they seem to be looking for a specific strand of hay to eat first. They don't care if it is wasteful. It is always reccomended that you mix the new pellets with the old ones a little at a time until completely weaned off the original pellet. I get my stuff in Amazon. There is no alfalfa in the Timothy Complete at all and I don't use alfalfa hay. If you can find a "sample box" of different hays to find out which he likes, it would be cheaper in the long run.

Latest posts

Back