Introducing solds to baby rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bummblebee

Reaction score
My bunnies are 3days away from being 3 weeks old when can I offer them alf alfa hay?

When can they try pellets?

They are nibbling on the hay I have in there for there momma but should I offer them some straight alf alfa hay if so should I keep this away from momma rabbit

They should just be allowed to nibble on whatever mom is having, I believe. They will start eating her hay and pellets when they're ready.

I'm going to see if I can move this to the breeding section.

Her pellets are out of reach from the babies the only thing in reach is Hay and its not alf alfa so I was wondering at what point do I put in alf alfa and pellets where they can reach it and at what point do I put water where they can access it

You should allow them to access these things whenever they want. They will start eating and drinking when they're ready. I also don't think there's a rule that they need to be on 100% alfalfa. I think you can just feed the mom's regular hay and maybe throw in a handful of alfalfa. She's nursing, so I'm sure she'll be able to use the extra calories anyway.

shortly after opening their eyes and being able to bounce in and out of the box, babies will start to nibble on the pellets. ;)

My babies start to eat timothy hay around that same time too.

Young rabbits should start nibbling on food between the 11th and 14th day after birth. Waiting untill they are 3 weeks old is far too long.

Ideally, they should have pellets and hay available to them the day they start hopping out of the nest box.

Alfalfa hay does provide more calories to the mother who really needs them at this point in order to recover for nutrients, weight, and condition that were lost during kindling and nursing.

The kits can have any type of hay, though some breeders willprefer togive them alfalfa at this time just so they can gain unlimited amounts of what ever calories and nutrients they need at this time.

Make sure you do not feed the young anything else aside from pellets and hay. Their digestive system is extremely sensitive at this time, and if they get diarrhea, they could die very quickly.

Be sure to start weaning them around 8 weeks of age.

O my gosh I havent given my babies any pellets I thought it was to early have I done damage they seem healthy ooooo Ive read and read and thought they only realy needed mommas milk :( O crap crap crap

They're fine as long as they look plump and happy :)Just move the momma's pellets where the babes can reach them (is the mom being free fed?) And a handful of alfalfashould do them all some good. :nod

Good luck!

I suggest that if you start feeding them unlimitedamounts ofpellets and hay right now, then they should be fine. The longer you wait, the harder it will be for their stomachs to adapt and for mother rabbit to slowly and comfortably end her milk supply.

In the next5 weeks, the kits will grandually begin to eat more solids and drink less milk. And as said before, once they hit 8 weeks, it's time to wean them from mother's milk.

Yeah they should have had free access to them as soon as they were coming out of the box. ;) I always have water, hay, and pellets accessible to both mom and babies at all times once the kits are born.

They will begin nibbling on hay/pellets pretty close to right after they open their eyes. ;)

Emily

How did I not know this??????? I must have mis read everything I looked up I was under the impression u didnt do pellets till 4 weeks when the mother started producing something in her milk to help there bellies be able to have the food I though I was ahead of the game here I am way behind I feel aweful!

Well that is partly true. The nutrients and antibodies in the mother's milk is constantly changing though out the different stages of development that the kits go through. They should still be drinking milk at this time, but their bodies need to get use to eating solids as well. Otherwise, it'll be harder for them to adapt later on since their bodies and digestive systems are starting to develop at this time and they need to get use to their feed that they'll eventually be eating for the rest of their lives.

Don't feel too bad as we all make mistakes, especially when it's our first breeding. On the plus side, you can still correct this problem if you simply make pellets and hay available to the kits right away.

Thanx everyone I LOVE the helpfullnes evryone seems to be happy in the hutch and well I put alfalfa in with the regular hay put pellets for babies to reach and a water bottle within reach :)

Latest posts

Back