introducing rabbits that are different sizes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AleHayes

Reaction score
I’ve just started intros for two rabbits, my 4lb neutered male Dutch (Oliver) who I’ve had for years, and an 8lb spayed female rex (Nougat) a friend of mine needed to rehome. In the 5 years I’ve had Oliver he hasn’t lived with another rabbit at all. He stays in his run while I’m at work and in the evening I’ll let him out and we’ll hang out in my rabbit proofed bedroom. I’ve just brought Nougat home, and she is in a run next door to Oliver’s in the bedroom to allow the two to get used to each other. I’m planning on having the two be neighbors for a few days before trying to further introduce them.
I have two main questions:
1. Should I be concerned that Nougat (8lb female) is about twice the size of Oliver (4lb male)? Is there anything specific I should do differently to account for a size difference?
2. During this time would it still be okay for me to give the rabbits individual playtime in the bedroom? If I did they would be able to touch noses through the run so I’m thinking I might need to wait, but they’re both pretty high energy so I’d like to give them playtime in a larger space if possible.
This is my first time introducing rabbits so all advice is welcome! Thank you!

Size makes no difference whatsoever. Depending on what you are seeing with their behavior now, you can wait significantly longer before allowing them to be in direct contact. They can be side-by-side for awhile.

I'd suggest taking a (long) read of the following article about various ways to bond.
http://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk/information/bonding-bunnies/

I bonded a californian (just shy of 8 lbs) with a 3.5 lb mismarked dutch last spring. Size really doesn't matter... only personality does.

Latest posts

Back