Introducing New Rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Remmy

Reaction score
My current rabbit, Remmy, is just under a year old right now. She lives on her own (but gets plenty of time out of her cage to play everyday). When she's not out, she likes to try and play with the dogs when they walk by. (She loves our pitbull especially lol)

Now that I'm a senior in highschool, and will be doing only 5 classes through a different school program, I will have significantly more time on my hands, which means, I may be able to get a job. With that in mind, I've been considering buying/rescuing another rabbit. I would more than likely get a rabbit from the same place I got Remmy.

My question is, would it be okay to introduce Remmy to another rabbit, especially if its a baby? Also, what is the best way of introducing a second rabbit safely? Any advice will be appreciated!

First Remmy needs to be spayed if she isn't already.

If she is spayed, then the best (only) way to ensure finding a rabbit that will bond with her, is to go through a rabbit rescue and let her choose another fixed rabbit. Just let the rescue know what you are attempting to do and they will guide you through the process. It is important for Remmy to choose. At the rescue, they allow the buns to meet in order to pre-screen for potential compatibility. Then the bonding process begins at home in neutral territory (somewhere that Remmy has never been before).

Getting a baby is not encouraged at all. This is risky for several reasons. It is also more costly. Babies won't truly bond with another rabbit. They may get along initially, but that can all change once hormones activate. One never knows for sure when that will happen, but when it does, one or both may suddenly turn aggressive and serious fighting may result. If you aren't there at the moment that occurs, the results could be deadly.

Once hormones do activate, both rabbits would need to be separated likely for several months until the other rabbit is ready to be fixed. Then that one will need time after surgery (8 weeks after surgery for males) to allow hormones to fully dissipate. When all that is done, they would need to go through the bonding process all over again. They may bond. They may not. But if they don't, you will be stuck having to house each rabbit separately. That is the real risk of getting a baby.

With a rabbit rescue, if a bond just won't work out after you've brought a rabbit home, they will allow an exchange. They want the bond to be successful, so they will work with you to ensure you find a compatible bondmate.

If you'd like further information on bonding rabbits, check here.

Easiest way to introduce rabbits is with two rabbits who are already spayed because then there's no hormones, and lots of rescues, shelters will let you have a rabbit date and if not they will help you find a rabbit that will work for you and also the rabbit doesn't have to be a baby there are a lot of in need older rabbits as well. Good luck though.

Latest posts

Back