Introducing New Rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howard cordingley

Reaction score
Hi Everyone.
I have an older rabbit Male 10 years old who is indoors and very tame. If I introduce a young male rabbit 8 weeks old. Would it be risky to do this?

If both of them are neutered, it should be fine. I would suggest getting a female though because males and females are easier to bond.

If both of them are neutered, it should be fine. I would suggest getting a female though because males and females are easier to bond.
Thanks I think he’s too old at 10 to be neutered but we could get the younger one done. It’s actually one of his own. My friend has a white doe and he wanted to let her have her first pregnancy and my rabbit despite his age is always wanting to mate. So hopefully we can keep one of his off spring to grow up with him.

Yes! That would be so cute. 10 is too old to be neutered so I wouldn't neuter him as long as you spay the doe.

I would advise against it for a few reasons. One is that he is quite old already and adding a new rabbit will be stressful. Even if all were to go well, there would still be an amount of stress that may be nothing for younger rabbits but may be a bit much for an elderly rabbit.

Two is that it isn't advised to introduce a baby to an adult. Yes, they will likely get along -- but only for a short time. As soon as the young one's hormones kick in, it can alter the behavior of either (or both) rabbits.

Three, those hormones could cause either or both to physically fight. For a 10 year old to have to deal with that wouldn't be good. :(

In my opinion, he's a bit old to put him through a bonding process. If you wanted to find him a bondmate, I'd let him meet some already fixed rabbits to pre-screen for potential compatibility. Perhaps you could even find an older one. If it were a younger, fixed rabbit, just bear in mind that as soon as your current old boy passes, the younger bondmate will be left to deal with his loss and be left alone (until you then get another one to bond with him and go through the bonding process all over again).

Latest posts

Back